Is this even possible to do with 2 wireless routers?

matrix563

Fully [H]
I have a DLink wireless router. What I want to do is this.

I have a computer in the living room I want to put on the internet. I don’t have money for a new Ethernet cable or a wireless card for the desktop.

Is it possible to use a second wireless router to wirelessly connect to the Dlink’s wireless signal, and then run a short Ethernet cable from that wireless router to the desktop in the living room.

Is that even possible? Please let me know! :)

thanks so much! so do i just set up the belkin in bridge mode? does it need the dhcp server turned off on the belkin, or is that a auto-off when setting it to bridge mode?

It's not auto-off, so you will need to turn it off. The Belkin will need the MAC address of the DLink to bridge to it. There can also be security issues here. If you use MAC address filtering, you will need to add the Belkins MAC to the D-Links filtering table. If you use WEP/WPA/etc, the Belkin will need to support it and will require that information to properly bridge.

Now, that's assuming you want to use bridge mode or the Belkin will even DO bridge mode with one of another brand. For example, I have a Linksys WAP54G which will throw a fit if you try to bridge it with other routers. Instead, I run it in wireless repeater mode. It also has a client mode which would work fine.

so the wireless repeater mode will do what i'm asking if the bridge mode is incomaptible between the 2 routers?

The wireless repeater mode would not work.

Switch the belkins DCHP server off.

Copy the WPA key and SSID to the belkin.

Remove useless MAC filtering if you are using it.

All bridge mode does is turn the router into a wireless card with a network switch attatched. You should remember that access poins DO NOT communicat with each other hence the bridge mode.

I have a WAP54 hooked up in repeater mode in my home to a WRT54G and it works fine doing this.
Bridge does not turn the access point into a card with a network switch attached, AP client mode does.

Edit: AP Client is just a single bridge and not all routers support this. My bad. I do use repeater mode for this purpose and an extended signal though.

The router by default will be in access point mode. Communicating with CLIENTS not access points.

I understand that. Repeater mode will communicate with the access point. It only takes one spare WAP to try it out and you'll see what I mean.

Is it set up in access point mode?
Can the computer ping the the belkin router?
Have you assinged a static IP to the belkin router?

BTW its 1.30 in the morning now in the UK.

Is it set up in access point mode?
Can the computer ping the the belkin router?
Have you assinged a static IP to the belkin router?

BTW its 1.30 in the morning now in the UK.

i haven't tried all that about the pinging but i checked up on my dlink gaming router, and it doesn't have bridge mode at all. so it probably won't work. i guess my friend is just screwed :D. but this was interesting and a learning experience which is whats important :)

I have a DLink wireless router. What I want to do is this.

I have a computer in the living room I want to put on the internet. I don’t have money for a new Ethernet cable or a wireless card for the desktop.

Is it possible to use a second wireless router to wirelessly connect to the Dlink’s wireless signal, and then run a short Ethernet cable from that wireless router to the desktop in the living room.

Is that even possible? Please let me know! :)

It's possible, but that depends on the second router and most routers cannot do this. What's the model and revision of the Belkin?

Back