Is this decent RAM?

RoGuE1230

Limp Gawd
I'm buying RAM for a budget build for a computer for my mom, but it's been two years since I last built something so I just want to make sure, is this pretty good RAM at a good price?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148488

I don't think I need more than 4GB for a computer like this. 8GB seems like overkill for AIM and youtube videos, right?

Also, do dual channel kits have RAM paired up specially so they can work well together? I can get this $1 cheaper if I buy the two separately.

The rest of the system is a Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P and a FX4100.

Yes that RAM will work however with today's OS's, Vista, W7-W8 I recommend running 8 GB as that will free up plenty of space for all other applications and leave everything running smoothly. With how cheap RAM is these day, I see no reason to go any less then 8 GB.

Newegg has sales every week on RAM too if you get it on sale even better!

Like right now from the site. 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 240 pin RAM for $35 with promo code:EMCJHNF243

Kingston HyperX 8GB

Last edited:
I just did a low end build with AMD processor / integrated graphics for the wife's daughter which will be used for school / web work. I went with this memory. And, with a 64-bit OS, the darn thing really flies. $34.00 for 8Gb is so cheap, no reason not to, IMHO. Other good brands in that price range, too.

Yeah, that Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 stuff is decent.

Consider what Nexillus / Blinded posted, though.

You would be surprised how quickly Win7 chews through the first 2-4GB of ram. I know I was :D

EDIT: I can see it now. A year or two down the road...

Mom: "Son, my PC is sloooooow!!"

OP remembers he put only 4GB ram in.

'Facepalm'

Back