Is this CRT worth keeping? (need to turn it on and off multiple times)

spacediver

2[H]4U
Friend gave me his old HP1130 (which I think is a rebranded sony CPD G520P

It's wonderful when warm, but there is an issue.

When it's been off for more than 30 min or so, when I turn it back on, the image doesn't stabilize and turns off after a few seconds. I need to repeat the process up to 7 times before it is stable.

A colleague has told me that this indicates that there is a problem drawing enough current. Each time I turn it on it accumulates a bit more power until it can stabilize. He said that this means that it's going to die pretty soon.

Is this a flyback transformer issue? I wouldn't mind getting rid of it as I already have way more CRTs than my room can fit, but if it's salvageable I may be tempted to look into other options.

Kind of related - I recently picked up an IBM P275 - is this identical to the p1130? It's hard to find solid consistent info online about the rebrands, and the underlying sony models.

IMO, all CRTs should be disposed of. No one should be using them. They are bad for your eyes, they give off too much radiation, their too big and clunky. They were nice in the day, but lets move ahead with LCD and especially OLED, thank you..

depends on what you play, CTRs are good for shooters. for other games i think you'll benefit more from a large high-res LCD.

according to those using monitors with lightboost @ 2D, this technology finally does away with CRTs for perfect motion clarity

still haven't had time to set this up due to having to rescue my data and format a hdd first, and work getting in the way, so no personal experience with lightboost yet :(

anyway, there are lots of testimonials on this, some people seem really enthusiastic about it.

i could have got a FW900 for about 85 € / 110 $, but i simply don't have the desk space for its bulk and weight, nor did i find its power consumption appealing. you also need some more space between the monitor and the wall, as the hot air it exhausts will leave a square shape on the wall over time.

Does anyone know whether this particular CRT is worth salvaging, given the symptom I described?

(assume, for sake of argument, that I am comfortable and happy using a CRT)

HP1130=dell 1130.

Yeah thats exactly what mine did. Basically it worked if it was warmed up fully but if it powered down, the arcing off of a cold start would cause the tube to shut itself off.

If you know someone who works on those thiings, you can have them check it out for you, but there's NO reason to use a CRT anymore now, except if you can find an old mint condition one. Light boost capable 120/144 hz displays (as you can read about in the other thread) give you EVERYTHING a CRT was able to give you, except black levels and viewing angles.

I used my P1130 CRT for years, until 3 weeks ago. and I've been using the lightboost hack on an AMD card (initializing with my geforce laptop) and everything's great.

The only thinig you currently can NOT do with lightboost is run 60hz@60 FPS for certain programs, e.g. emulators, but 120 hz lightboost at 60 FPS is still miles better than 120hz 60 fps without lightboost.

yea i've heard good things about lightboost (good recent thread here: http://www.esreality.com/post/2395123/lightboost-faq-crt-quality-on-120hz-lcd/ )

I do value wide viewing angles, however, and I love inky black! Just as importantly, I don't like the idea of native resolutions. I run my fw900 (which I got for $30 yesterday) at 1280x800 since higher resolutions render things too tiny for comfort.

Perhaps seeing a lightboost in person would tempt me though.

edit:
HP1130=dell 1130.

yep, and I think it might be the same as the IBM P275 (not 100% sure). Either way, from what I can gather, the 1130's are rebranded sony CPD-520 - same electronics just different casing. Very fine monitors indeed :)

Last edited:
OP whether it's worth fixing depends on how easily you could fix it. If you don't know where to start, or have never done it before, then i probably wouldn't bother because the same time, effort and money could be devoted to sourcing another decent CRT to have as a backup.

As for CRT's, i recently dug my Dell P1130 out of retirement to use for my old-school shooters. It has extremely low hours, and still works + looks brand new. Gonna baby this puppy and hold onto it for a long time. I can't tell you how many near-flawless Diamondtron and Trinitron tubes i gave away though, wish i would have also kept one of the Mitsubishi tubes...

Pretty sure the 1130, P1130, P275 are close relatives, manufactured around the same year(s) with similar trinitron tubes, though i bet the internal electronics are a little different. I can't vouch for much of this though...

P275 is G520P with different housing. Black version looks very very good. I still have one of these :)

Light boost capable 120/144 hz displays (as you can read about in the other thread) give you EVERYTHING a CRT was able to give you, except black levels and viewing angles.
Trinitron CRT tops most professional IPS monitors in image quality and you say some crappy over-blue W-LED TN gives everything CRT can offer. Are you mad? :eek:

P275 is G520P with different housing. Black version looks very very good. I still have one of these :)

Trinitron CRT tops most professional IPS monitors in image quality and you say some crappy over-blue W-LED TN gives everything CRT can offer. Are you mad? :eek:

Lightboost spamming on this board is getting really annoying.

IMO, all CRTs should be disposed of. No one should be using them. They are bad for your eyes, they give off too much radiation, their too big and clunky. They were nice in the day, but lets move ahead with LCD and especially OLED, thank you..

They give off too much radiation ?
How much exactly ? :rolleyes:

I'll give up on CRT when OLED comes to the computer monitor market !

Back