Is this considered cheating? (kind of an odd question)

Naldo

2[H]4U
Well, I was cleaning off some programs on my PC today and came across one called microsoft mouse and noticed I can bind mouse buttons to multiple key presses. So after a little tinkering I come up with a pretty awesome layout that lets me do a bunch of things with one click, for instance with left button I go prone, zoom in, and fire all at the same time, an right button makes me do this crazy bunny hopping thing. I was playing COD2 just now using the bindings and I'm getting like 3 times as many kills as I used to get. Now, my question is is this considered cheating? One part of me says no because its all stuff I could do without binding buttons, but the binding the buttons makes it so much easier and faster.

What do you guys think? I dont really want to keep using it if its generally considered as cheating.

Cheating as I see it is using exploits to gain an unfair advantage over other players. Anyone can bind keys.

not cheating... but i would think it could be considered an exploit since most people dont know about it.

Darakian said:
Cheating as I see it is using exploits to gain an unfair advantage over other players. Anyone can bind keys.

Agreed, its not really an exploit since all you are doing is using a widely available tool which anyone could use if they wished. IMO.

Binding keys is not cheating, it just gives you a better advantage but it wont always work you can still die.

Now if you use a thing were you can shoot through walls or not die when shot now that is Cheating.

Exactly, I changed all the buttons on my MX1000 so that they each do a different thing in BF2. One button switches weapons, the other throws out med packs or ammo packs.

If I were you I'd however remap that whole "Bunny-Hopping" thing as its kind of gay. But thats just my opinion.

HydroSqueegee said:
not cheating... but i would think it could be considered an exploit since most people dont know about it.

an exploit because people dont bother learning what their computer or game can do? - i hardly think so.

they are not exploiting anything, they are using a feature of the game / windows.

As far as leagues go, I know many don't allow binding of more than one action to a key.

This is no different than hitting multiple keys on your keyboard at the same time.

No moral issues here.

Spumoni said:
This is no different than hitting multiple keys on your keyboard at the same time.

No moral issues here.

Yeah, it is WAY different. How can binding 3-4 keys to a single keypress be equal to hitting 3-4 keys? Keybinds are illegal in competitve league play because you can replicate moves, like the OP, that have been patched out of a game. Think back to the original CoD where the 1.1 patch killed bunnyhopping and jump-proning. Within 2 hours of the patch's release a guy released a keybind formula on the CAL boards that let you bunnyhop and jump-prone again. It was immediately deemed illegal and if caught using it your team would forfeit the match and the user subject to suspension. Apparently the biggest league in the US had a moral issue with it so I'm not sure how you can say there isn't one. Keybinds replace skill & practice with computer programming. On the other hand keybinds were commonplace in UT competitive play, but I haven't seen them ruled as acceptable in any FPS since.

So how do you bind two or more actions to the same key in BF2?

Leagues and tournaments won't allow these bindings but if your pub dosn't complain then who cares, but be warned that this is a very big grey area and I can see someone bitching about it and even some servers banning you for it. Most people consider anything outside of the game thats used to enhance your gameplay cheating.

So does anyone actually know how to do this in BF2?

It won't let me bind more than one action to one mouse key.

Go into My Documents.

Then into your BF2 folder.

Then into the Profiles folder.

In there you should have a profile, it generally starts with 00 and the a third number.

So for example if you have three profiles it'll look something like this: 001, 002, 003.

Choose the folder of the profile you most commonly use. Inside that file you will see a Controls.con file or something similar. Make a backup of it and save it to another folder somewhere on your HDD for a backup.

In there is a list of all the controls. The most common bind is taking your parachute key in the Infantry section; which is either the 1st or 2nd line:

ControlMap.addKeyToTriggerMapping c_PIWeaponSelect9 IDFKeyboard IDKey_9 10000 0
is the line.

Take that line and change it so it reads this:

ControlMap.addKeyToTriggerMapping c_PIWeaponSelect9 IDFKeyboard IDKey_Space 10000 0

You've just remapped your parachute key to your jump key. Now when you jump off a building instead of fumble for the *9* key just spam your jump key and your chute will deploy.

I am thinking of making my prone key the same as my crouch key but haven't gotten around to it yet.

that's great, how would I go about binding two or more actions to one key though?

Hulk said:
that's great, how would I go about binding two or more actions to one key though?

I know you can use software for some mice that can record macros for games. I don't know about keyboards, though. I would think it would be possible to do that in BF2. Perhaps check out the EA BF2 forum?

Anyone can create a Macro to do al kinds of things.

I have a few set up on my N52 that allow me to perform up to 4 actions, one after the other once I press it. I use it for evading enemy air craft.
Someone fires a missle at me
I hit the key, and my view changes to rear look, my flares deploy (if I have any), my view changes back to cock pit.

I have another that fires all my missles at once (or very quickly together)

Macros are not illigal @ all!

Majin said:
Anyone can create a Macro to do al kinds of things.

I have a few set up on my N52 that allow me to perform up to 4 actions, one after the other once I press it. I use it for evading enemy air craft.
Someone fires a missle at me
I hit the key, and my view changes to rear look, my flares deploy (if I have any), my view changes back to cock pit.

I have another that fires all my missles at once (or very quickly together)

Macros are not illigal @ all!

Share the wealth! How you do dis?

Agreed - it's not illegal. The problem is that not many people know about this. Configs are the basis behind what makes a person godly or not. However, it depends on who sees what is a skill or not. For example, rocket jumping scripts in configs are not looked upon as a skill but a cheating bot since you will 100% get the same kind of perfect jump everytime. In reality, people will always mess up once in a while. ;)

-J.

IMO, most scripts are used in place of skill or to push the limits of what is available to do in a game (example: quickswitch to avoid game implemented reloading time). I consider a lot of scripts as exploits because they are.

Hulk said:
So does anyone actually know how to do this in BF2?

It won't let me bind more than one action to one mouse key.
Use your mouse software. Razer and Logitech software can both create macros for each button of your mouse. What you do is open BF2, set the actions you want to some sort of obscure keys that you never use, i.e.

Jump - Secondary key - " ] "
Prone - Secondary Key - " [ "
Zoom/AlternateFire - Secondary Key - " p "
Fire - Secondary Key - " o "
Crouch - Secondary Key - " i "

Then, in the mouse software, you can specify what each button of your mouse does, and you can choose to have it load a specific profile for programs (in this case, BF2) and then specify what each button press does. When you are asked to press the buttons that correspond to that mouse button/profile, you simply press, in order,

] , [ , p , o , ] , i

and the game will respond by

jumping, going prone, zooming once, firing, jumping and crouching

all with one button press.
If you don't have a Logitech or a Razer mouse, you can use the Microsoft Intellipoint software and select a mouse that has the corresponding number of buttons as yours (WheelMouse Optical for a standard 3-button, or Intellimouse 4.0 for a 5-button).

Hmm...when I go to the keystroke assignment, it only lets me put one key in Intellipoint. How do I correctly put it the combo?

It only allows me to add one key in the keystroke assignment.

Opie said:
Yeah, it is WAY different. How can binding 3-4 keys to a single keypress be equal to hitting 3-4 keys? Keybinds are illegal in competitve league play because you can replicate moves, like the OP, that have been patched out of a game. Think back to the original CoD where the 1.1 patch killed bunnyhopping and jump-proning. Within 2 hours of the patch's release a guy released a keybind formula on the CAL boards that let you bunnyhop and jump-prone again. It was immediately deemed illegal and if caught using it your team would forfeit the match and the user subject to suspension. Apparently the biggest league in the US had a moral issue with it so I'm not sure how you can say there isn't one. Keybinds replace skill & practice with computer programming. On the other hand keybinds were commonplace in UT competitive play, but I haven't seen them ruled as acceptable in any FPS since.

Simple, I can easily bind the CAPS, Shift, and ctrl keys to do a different action each and hit them all at the same time. If it's stuff that you shouldn't be capable of doing in real life, then it shouldn't be programmed to be allowed to perform those actions simultaneously. I should be able to bind a key to do those simultaneously. Does it make that button more advantageous in a certain situation, YES. Does it make it less useful in others, YES.

Blame laziness of programmers for bunny-hop bugs, not multiple keybinds. If they don't want it in a game, it's basic programming skills to prevent.

Sub zoomin

If goingprone = "False" Then
if speed < "running" Then
set fov = "20"
set zoomedin = "true"
else
end if
else
end if

end sub

Back