Is this cards 3D toast?

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
Have an old HD7870 that has had fan issues almost since day one but otherwise has been reliable. I getto-modded a case fan onto it to make sure it stayed cool and served its life until now in my homemade arcade machine of my design I'm proud to say. Anyways it is now throwing an error up (out of machine so don't recall the details, but can put back in if need) every time it does anything graphically intensive. It works fine as far as desktop/web browsing/video, but as soon as I launch a program, even my Arcade front end it crashes.
It is adequately cooled for its tasks and I have re-pasted and re-seated and redid drivers. Ya know the basics. Same result.
So has it had its day?
Giver a go in the microwave?
Thoughts?
*edit* Had to throw a pic of the cabinet*

Attachments

• cabinet.jpg
    cabinet.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Wat
like this
since its just an arcade cab. try neutering the speeds in AB, see if that gets it working. if not, shes dying, jim.

If you had another card to swap in to test rhe rest of the system that would be a start. A psu Def can cause crashes I the gpu needs more power than can be supplied.from a failing psu. It can crash.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/vbe7-vbios-editor-for-radeon-hd-7000-series-cards.189089/

You could also use VBE7 and mod the BIOS with lower clocks as well and possibly tweaking voltages too. If you do so, uninstall the card from device manager without deleting drivers and then scan for hardware changes so the drivers will be reinstalled reflecting your new clock speeds and voltages.

VBE7 is super easy to use, I can't even tell you how many GCN 1.0 based cards I've improved with it!

EDIT: VBE7 will remove the UEFI from the BIOS.....so use this to put it back:

https://www.win-raid.com/t892f16-AMD-and-Nvidia-GOP-update-No-requests-DIY.html

On some GCN 1.0 cards I end up removing the UEFI from the BIOS using HD7xxx Series UEFI Patch Tool BETA.exe which can be found in the above TPU thread, then I make my edits with VBE7, then I run the UEFI tool to put latest UEFI in the BIOS, then I flash!

Last edited:
Hi all. Thought I would resurrect this thread as I have additional info.
Becoming tired of looking at this card but not willing to toss it, it was still operable as a 2D card after all, and i can't throw any working PC hardware that functions away. Anyone want some 10Base LAN cards or PCI Video cards :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Any ways to follow up on the origional story, I ripped it appart again verifying it was fine and well pasted even though I knew it was. This time I decided to unplug the origional fans splitter off the board header. I have modded so I have two 80mm that run off molex adaptors each with a multi speed switch to adjust speed, and the two origional fans are mounted above those so they could turn on as they were needed.
So no GPU board fan. I was under the impression that it might want something plugged in like a eg. CPU Fan header.
It didn't care. I am running Haven benchmark for multi hours now. Yes 3D functioning is back and it all comes back to defunct fans?
So this is a new one for me and thought I would share my results. Happy to have my arcade cabinets 7870GHz ed. back and doing its job.
Funny thing is if we weren't in the GPU appocolapse I would have just tossed it and spent $30 on a new one. Or $50 for something much better. Old hardware used to be a enthusiast/hacker DIY's dream.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/vbe7-vbios-editor-for-radeon-hd-7000-series-cards.189089/

You could also use VBE7 and mod the BIOS with lower clocks as well and possibly tweaking voltages too. If you do so, uninstall the card from device manager without deleting drivers and then scan for hardware changes so the drivers will be reinstalled reflecting your new clock speeds and voltages.

VBE7 is super easy to use, I can't even tell you how many GCN 1.0 based cards I've improved with it!

EDIT: VBE7 will remove the UEFI from the BIOS.....so use this to put it back:

https://www.win-raid.com/t892f16-AMD-and-Nvidia-GOP-update-No-requests-DIY.html

On some GCN 1.0 cards I end up removing the UEFI from the BIOS using HD7xxx Series UEFI Patch Tool BETA.exe which can be found in the above TPU thread, then I make my edits with VBE7, then I run the UEFI tool to put latest UEFI in the BIOS, then I flash!
Hey thanks for the deep dig on that. I had never heard of that before. If the board goes flaky again, which it very well could, I will try it out.

Back