Is this Blu-Ray/HD DVD drive by LG a good buy?

nerr

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to get into HD video now that I finally have a powerful enough PC to run it. I'm running an ATI Radeon HD 4870 that can output an HDMI signal to my 47" 1080p HDTV, or a DVI signal to my 24" 1920x1200 monitor. I've found this Blu-Ray/HD DVD drive on Newegg and ZipZoomFly, and I'm curious to know if it would be a good buy for someone who is looking to get into high-definition video viewing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136133

I have a friend who has a Blu-Ray drive in his laptop, and a bunch of Blu-Ray movies. He and I would be able to share our movies, so it would definitely get some use in my PC. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I've got the same drive in my HTPC and it works great. So far very quiet and no issues playing HD-DVD's. The only problem I have with it is the Activity LED on the front is very blue and VERY bright! Will grab some tape/paint/marker to help take care of that next time I've got a moment...

Hehe, well a blue LED would fit in just fine with my case, so I guess that wouldn't be too big of an issue for me. Thanks for your thoughts!

Any other owners of this drive?

I've got two of them. One in my HTPC, and one in the HTPC I'm selling. It's a very good drive, and I'd definitely recommend it. And yes.. the LED on it is really freaking bright, lol.

best bang for the buck blu-ray drive around, only one i would buy that isnt a blu-ray burner

I picked mine up for less than $150 shipped, new on eBay. It's a great drive and Blu-Ray picture is as amazing as it is on our PS3 but it's a little noisy at times. Also, be sure you have a good Blu-Ray program, I use Power DVD 7 Ultra for Blu-Ray and Power DVD 8 Ultra for HD-DVD (There's no Vista x64 support for HD-DVD on 8) and it works great but I heard the stock software is garbage.

They have an update for the software but I believe it still only plays 2.1 sound out.

i have this drive and i have no issues at all.

i am not sure about the 2.1 thing because mine play through my 5.1 perfectly.

Back