Is this Blu-Ray/HD DVD drive by LG a good buy?

nerr

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to get into HD video now that I finally have a powerful enough PC to run it. I'm running an ATI Radeon HD 4870 that can output an HDMI signal to my 47" 1080p HDTV, or a DVI signal to my 24" 1920x1200 monitor. I've found this Blu-Ray/HD DVD drive on Newegg and ZipZoomFly, and I'm curious to know if it would be a good buy for someone who is looking to get into high-definition video viewing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136133

I have a friend who has a Blu-Ray drive in his laptop, and a bunch of Blu-Ray movies. He and I would be able to share our movies, so it would definitely get some use in my PC. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Omegas

[H]F Junkie
I've got the same drive in my HTPC and it works great. So far very quiet and no issues playing HD-DVD's. The only problem I have with it is the Activity LED on the front is very blue and VERY bright! Will grab some tape/paint/marker to help take care of that next time I've got a moment...

nerr

Limp Gawd
Hehe, well a blue LED would fit in just fine with my case, so I guess that wouldn't be too big of an issue for me. Thanks for your thoughts!

Any other owners of this drive?

w1retap

[H]F Junkie
I've got two of them. One in my HTPC, and one in the HTPC I'm selling. It's a very good drive, and I'd definitely recommend it. And yes.. the LED on it is really freaking bright, lol.

Adidas4275

Supreme [H]ardness
best bang for the buck blu-ray drive around, only one i would buy that isnt a blu-ray burner

skyline889

[H]ard|Gawd
I picked mine up for less than $150 shipped, new on eBay. It's a great drive and Blu-Ray picture is as amazing as it is on our PS3 but it's a little noisy at times. Also, be sure you have a good Blu-Ray program, I use Power DVD 7 Ultra for Blu-Ray and Power DVD 8 Ultra for HD-DVD (There's no Vista x64 support for HD-DVD on 8) and it works great but I heard the stock software is garbage.

Omegas

[H]F Junkie
They have an update for the software but I believe it still only plays 2.1 sound out.

Rugeroni

Limp Gawd
i have this drive and i have no issues at all.

i am not sure about the 2.1 thing because mine play through my 5.1 perfectly.