Is this bios setting normal?

I have an MSI GE62 2QD laptop and I tried to update the bios. I followed the instructions, and when it was finished it said to hit any key to boot into Windows. When I did that, it looped back to the bios screen. I tried several things, but it would not boot into windows. I tried booting into Linux, and I tried to boot into Macrium recovery USB stick, but it always looped back to the bios screen. I called MSI support and he tried the same things. I set up an RMA (they have a 10-30 day turn around!).
Then I went back into the bios and tried almost every setting. One named Boot Mode Select had 3 choices: UEFI, UEFI with CSM, and Legacy. It was set for UEFI and I changed it to Legacy, and it booted into Windows and all is good.
Question: Is Legacy the normal setting for this? It obviously is correct, but doesn't sound correct.

It depends on the system. It just means that it's using the old BIOS boot method instead of the newer boot method and won't provide modern firmware services to the operating system.

most likely it's due to your hard drive being formatted with MBR partitions instead of EFI/GPT partition.

I checked and you are correct. Both drives are formatted as MBR volumes. Is there any advantage to change to GPT, and how would I do that? Also, how is that done with a new format?

EDIT: I think I have answered my own question. It looks like I may want to update to GPT volumes. Can I make a Macrium image of my Win7-64 boot drive, change from MBR to GPT, then restore without the restore changing it back to MBR?

Last edited:
Unless you're going to use more than 4 primary partitions on a single drive, or the drive is larger than 2TB, there's really not an advantage to GPT over MBR. If it works, just leave it as is.

Back