Is this an example of a memory problem? Screenshot included

RedShark

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey everyone--

Does this screenshot suggest I have a memory problem? The memory is Crucial Ballistix BL2KIT12864AA804, 2x1GB, PC6400, rated at 4-4-4-12, 2.2V. I have it set at 2.1V in the BIOS + CPU:FSB ratio of 2:3 with a Core 2 Duo (266mhz FSB, not yet overclocked--just put it together Saturday :)). Motherboard is ASUS P5B vanilla, 7600GT video, Antec 430W + 20A on 12V rail, couple harddisks / optical etc.

If I reduce the frequency, 2xPrime95 will run overnight without errors.

Screenshot with additional details:
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~mjr/crucial.png

The BIOS only goes up to 2.1V for memory. Am I screwed since the memory is rated at 2.2V?

Would the next step be trying each stick individually + memtest86? Anything else I should try?

Thanks!

You might need to loosen the timings to 5-5-5-15 since that RAM may need 2.2v for tighter timings. Unfortunately, the P5B only allows up to 2.1v for memory and it's doubtful that ASUS will increase it with a BIOS update.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114076

It will of course void your warranty and requires some soldering skill.

I suggest seeing if you can exchange the memory for something that runs on 1.8V so you can overclock. I dont think you will get anywhere with that 2.2 V memory at 2.1 volts and your "not yet overclocked" indicates to me you wish to take advantage of the overclocking ability of the board.

An electronics shop/tv repair could do the mod for you and it should not cost much if you bring them all the info in the link above. Again your warranty will go down the drain.

Thank you for your suggestions, everyone.

Last night, I lowered the timings to 5-5-5-18, and ran memtest86+. After 15 hours, there were 7 errors. There were 2 sets of 2 that were identical. I had my window open, and the ambient temperature dropped to 17.7 C. (probably won't be leaving my window open like that much any more :)).

Using a fan isn't a bad idea. I'll definitely look into that. Cheap and easy.

Modding my MB is probably a bit too [H] for me :) Using different memory is a possibility, but the prices have gone up even more since I bought this stuff, and since I'm poor as it is, it'll have to wait.

I contacted Crucial customer support with this issue, so I'll see what they suggest. I'm definitely not planning to RMA at this point, but I asked them what I should do.

Thanks again everyone!

mattsaccount said:
I contacted Crucial customer support with this issue, so I'll see what they suggest. I'm definitely not planning to RMA at this point, but I asked them what I should do.

Thanks again everyone!

I don't think you'll be able to RMA at any point unless you lie, because their memory is rated at 2.2v. If your mobo can't comply with their specifications then is not their (Crucial's) problem.

I included that information in the email. The P5B isn't listed as being compatible with this memory either. (The P5B Deluxe is, presumably it can give the memory more voltage?) I'm just curious if they can suggest any reasonable course of action. Besides, I probably won't get the E6600 overclocked high enough to exceed 333mhz by much at 1:1 anyway :)

I'm having a similar issue as Matt, as I have the same memory and motherboard.

I don't have my system overclocked, and I haven't yet bumped the voltage up. It is set at DDR800, at 5-6-6-18 if I recall correctly (I'm at work at the moment), and likey at 1.8v unless the system auto-adjusted it up.

Anyway, after seven hours of memtest86+, it came back with 70 errors, and 17 passes. I'm not sure the errors are solely due to the voltage/timing issues, or if possibly some of the memory is bad. When in Windows, everything is stable except so far for Source-based games, which generally crash with the "datacache.dll" error after playing for various amounts of time.

The first thing to try is to max out the voltage. The memory is rated for 2.2V, so you can safely increase it to the 2.1V max in the BIOS. See if the errors go away then--hopefully they will.

mattsaccount said:
I included that information in the email. The P5B isn't listed as being compatible with this memory either. (The P5B Deluxe is, presumably it can give the memory more voltage?)
Correct, if I remember correctly, the memory voltage in the P5B Dlx can be increased up to 2.4v.

Back