Is this an adequate power supply?

cyohman

n00b
System Specs-
MB:GIGABYTE GA-X38T-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard

VGA: EVGA 768-P2-N881-AR GeForce 8800Ultra 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 P

Cooling:Included with processor.

CPU:Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 Kentsfield 3.0GHz LGA 775 Proce OS:Windows XP 64-Bit Monitor:To be determined.

Memory:CORSAIR 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 128

Sound: On board.

Browser:Mozilla Firefox 2.0.11

HD:Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.

PSU:To be determined.

Misc:ArcGIS, ProfUIS, Flight Simulator X, Flightgear, DIVX, XVID,

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Gigabyte motherboard above and other hardware and this power supply? The video card requires at least 550W. Apparently 1000-1100W power supplies are only needed for something like a Quad SLI configuration. Should I aim for a 550W-700W power supply? Thanks.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817714001

Finally, I assume the 20+4 pin power supplies are compatible with the 24 pin motherboard. Also, the 1000-1100 watts seems like plenty of power for the graphics card and the processor. Thoughts and comments welcome.

The video card doesn't require 550W. That's very far from the truth.

500-600W is more than enough for your computer (the previous meantioned number is what NVIDIA recommend for the whole computer). I recommend Corsair HX620 in case you want to upgrade in the future.

Id get the 620hx but not from newegg, they overcharge for it.

If you plan on adding more drives, after about 6 months of research I settled on the Antec TruePower 850W - because it has ultra clean power. I've been very happy with it.

If you plan on adding more drives, after about 6 months of research I settled on the Antec TruePower 850W - because it has ultra clean power. I've been very happy with it.

IIRC, the TP and TPII have those Fuhjyyu caps, so you are not going to have ultra clean power, you won't even have clean power.

IIRC, the TP and TPII have those Fuhjyyu caps, so you are not going to have ultra clean power, you won't even have clean power.

Neither the TP or TPII came in an 850W.

It's just a recycled name for a new psu.

I like it.

iseedeadpeople: heh..

Hulto:

>500-600W is more than enough for your computer (the previous meantioned number is >what NVIDIA recommend for the whole computer). I recommend Corsair HX620 in case >you want to upgrade in the future.

Miswritten, but that's what I meant.

Danny Bui: I prefer this one- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002

munkle: Maybe on the 620, but the 650 and 750 were lower @ NewEgg than what Danny Bui listed. I always do a search on Google Shopping before I buy anywhere. Also, what would you recommend toning down, in terms of overkill? At this point, only the processor, video card, memory somewhat, and PSU are modifiable.

cerebrex: The Truepower does not support Crossfire. My mobo only supports Crossfire, if I want to go that route later. Maybe two of these-
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1261129
Of course, I'll need the 1100W or greater power supply then.

Also, what would you recommend toning down, in terms of overkill? At this point, only the processor, video card, memory somewhat, and PSU are modifiable.

Whoops, meant that for Danny Bui.

cyohman said:
Also, what would you recommend toning down, in terms of overkill? At this point, only the processor, video card, memory somewhat, and PSU are modifiable.

Drop the CPU, video card, mobo, PSU and RAM that you have now and go with the following:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping CPU - $278
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Intel P35 Motherboard - $175
G.SKILL F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM - $100
EVGA 512-P3-N841-A3 GeForce 8800GTS 512MB PCI-E Video Card - $360
Corsair 620HX 620W PSU - $147

The new 8800GTS 512MB outperforms the 8800GTX and is much cheaper to boot. So save some money and just pick up the 8800GTS 512MBB instead. Also, There is no good reasaon why you should get DDR3 RAM now. DDR3 RAM is horribly overpriced and the performance gain is very little even if you use much much faster DDR3 RAM. So I recommend.

Unfortunately, you chose a mobo that only takes DDR3 RAM. So I recommend returning that mobo and getting the GA-P35-DS4 instead. It's cheaper than the X38 mobo you have now but still performs just as well. The only reason, IMO, to get a X38 mobo is if you want full PCI-E x16 bandwidth for Crossfire. Other than that, X38 is a bit of a waste.

It's simply crazy to buy an Extreme Edition CPU. No CPU, no matter how new it is, is worth $1000. Especially since A) you can OC a cheaper CPU to match the EE speeds or B) that CPU will be outdated and outperformed by newer and significantly cheaper. Just because it's an EE CPU doesn't mean that it will always be faster. Look at the EE of P4 CPUs. Even the lowest Pentium Dual Core CPU (E2140) can outperform that CPU. And it retails for $70.

I recommend ditching that OCZ GameXStream PSU. It's based off the FSP Episilon PSU design which has out of spec ripple, or voltage fluctuations, at high loads that can damage or kill your system. Granted, you may not reach such high loads but why pay for PSU that can kill your system? So pick up the PSU that I recommended earlier instead.

Yes by going with the CPU, RAM and Mobo you do have one of the fastest systems out there. HOWEVER, the costs aren't worth it. You don't gain that much of a longeity in your parts nor will the performance edge that you have last long enoughfor the extra money to be worth it.

I listed the Ultra, for the Graphics Card. As far as the mobo, there is the possibility that I want to go the way of the Crossfire. As far as the processor, if we are talking value and if I wanted to keep my motherboard, then I would consider the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115028 . So, you have a strong point with the processor. You also raise another very good point about the power supply, but I do not think it has enough wattage to support Crossfire. I am willing to accept that I am wrong there perhaps.

As far as speed versus value, I am willing to sacrifice value for speed.So, I think building your system would give more bang for the buck, but I don't mind being frivolous. I do appreciate the strong, differing viewpoint. It makes me think more. :)

It's based off the FSP Episilon PSU design which has out of spec ripple, or voltage fluctuations, at high loads that can damage or kill your system.

Can you provide a link about this, Danny Bui? Thanks.

The 8800GTS 512MB performs on par and in many cases outperforms the 8800Ultra. Still a good buy. Also, for Crossfire, you need ATI cards. You cannot use Nvidia cards in SLI.

Actually, the better value would be the E6750, not the E6850. All you're getting for $90 more over the E6750 with the E6850 is 333Mhz. $90 for 333Mhz is not worth it. Especially since you can OC the E6750 to 3.2Ghz with little or no trouble. So if you were going best bang for your buck, the Q6600 or E6750 would be the better buys.

Remember that wattage doesn't mean as much these days. What matters most is where those watts are being delivered. For current rigs, it's all about how much amps are on the +12V rail since most PC parts draw their power from there. The more amps you have, the more upgrades (hard drives, video cards, PCI cards, etc) you can add. You determine the amperage on the +12V rails by first finding out what's the total combined or max wattage set aside for the +12V rails/section alone. So for example, the Corsair 620HX has 600W total on the +12V rail. Divide that total wattage for the +12V by 12 and you get how much amps the PSU has on the +12V rail. In this case, 600W divided by 12 is 50A. So the Corsair 620HX PSU has 50A on the +12V Rail. And that's plenty of power for your current or future system.

Also here is the link about the GameXStream PSU
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=24

The Ultra seems to kick the GTS, in terms of performance.-

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=853&model2=778&chart=318

I welcome other charts and reviews.

Agreed on the 6750. I added speed into the equation.

Thanks for the lesson on PSUs. I have been a bit confused on how to pick the best one. Finally, thanks for the link.

You compared it to the older G80 GTS 320MB, not the new G92 version. Also, as mentioned before, You have to use ATI cards to utilize crossfire. Nvidia calls their technology SLI (Scalable Link Interface). More importantly, You cannot utilize an SLI setup on an Intel based mobo period. If you plan on going SLI in the future, you have to get an Nvidia based mobo like the 680i or new 780i.

I own a 8800 Ultra and am telling you that if I would build my system right now, I'd get a G92 8800GTS 512MB over an Ultra. The performance differences between the 2 are small enough to make them a non issue. The price difference is drastic though.
Buy the GTS, just trust us.

The Ultra seems to kick the GTS, in terms of performance.-

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=853&model2=778&chart=318

I welcome other charts and reviews.

Wrong 8800GTS. The 8800GTS 512MB is based off the G92 GPU whereas the older 8800GTS 320MB and 640MB video cards are based off the G80 GPU. The new G92 8800GTS 512MB performs on par or better than the 8800Ultra:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3175&p=3

And look at the prices of the 8800GTS 512MB and 8800Ultra: $350 VS $660

Gee which one do you think you should get? :)

cerebrex:[/B] The Truepower does not support Crossfire. My mobo only supports Crossfire, if I want to go that route later. Maybe two of these-
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1261129
Of course, I'll need the 1100W or greater power supply then.

Supporting crossfire doesn't mean anything, power is power. 850W is plenty for yoru setup, I'm running considerably more hardware than you will be and mine is doing great.

Back