Is this AMD 7970 a good card?

I would at least go with a factory overclocked gpu; that card is 925mhz, my msi 7970's are factory OC@ 1010mhz

Also consider that this card will generate lots of heat within your case, I prefer the reference coolers even though it heats up my room but I know its not heating up my case.

I would at least go with a factory overclocked gpu; that card is 925mhz, my msi 7970's are factory OC@ 1010mhz
And can you give a reason why? He can easily overclock that gpu to the exact same frequency.

Anyways OP, the HIS 7970 is a very good card. Decent cooler, reference based pcb (blue though), and no boost from what it looks.

Well, the OP never mentioned overclocking the card and for a little more he could get a faster factory core clock without having to experiment with the settings.

I personally had a few tweaking issues overclocking the 7950, 7970 and 670. Comes down to time if the OP has time to tweak the settings to make it 100 percent stable.

For example, my system was unstable for months after overclocking my cpu to 4.8ghz even though it passed all the stress test, my system was not 100 percent stable. I read a article and discovered that to get my system 100% stable that I needed to run intel burn test and furmark at the same time. I finally have my system 100% stable

mine's been serving me well since January 9th 2012! it's a solid card. as tonyftw said you're fine buying a card with the standard base clocks. should be able to overclock to 'ghz edition' clocks easily.

For example, my system was unstable for months after overclocking my cpu to 4.8ghz even though it passed all the stress test, my system was not 100 percent stable. I read a article and discovered that to get my system 100% stable that I needed to run intel burn test and furmark at the same time. I finally have my system 100% stable

in my experience there's no one-size-fits-all method for testing system stability. COD4 multiplayer, of all things, exposed an instability in my i5-2500K at 4.5 Ghz. i didn't see that one coming :D

my original point was that there's a ton of programs that can expose instability, like my example of a 6 year old multiplayer game. i've spent my fair share of time running IBT and rotating furry donuts. they're nice tools for coarse testing but not the final word. some people argue that they unnaturally over stress your system and can potentially cause damage. i don't know if there's any weight to that but i've found there are other, more accurate ways to test overclocks. like drinking beer and gaming :)

Over clocking to 1010mhz is a joke. I don't think there's a 7970 in existence that can't do ATLEAST 1050mhz on stock 1.17v. Mine is shitty 62% asic and does 1100 on stock voltage, but won't do 1200 even on 1.3v lol. Simply tweak in CCC hit apply and forget it.
For the price I'd get this tho.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008WAMV3Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1379635960&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX110_SY165
Arguably better cooler and its not just a GHz but 1100mhz. Its voltage locked but at 1.25v. Wat more do you need.
Or get this for a great deal.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00752QYLK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1379635960&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
+1 for HiS manufacturing quality.

Had multiple HiS cards past and present (got a few HiS 7850s mining scrypt now), and 0 quality issues.

That card is also voltage unlocked.

HIS is great. My card never gets over 60-65c on auto fan @ 1250core 1500 memory.

BTW if you overclock I would bet that you can easily get 1150core/ 1500memory on stock volts.

HIS is great. My card never gets over 60-65c on auto fan @ 1250core 1500 memory.

BTW if you overclock I would bet that you can easily get 1150core/ 1500memory on stock volts.

Just got my card in last night after I had to replace my mobo! I have it clocked at 1025core/ 1325memory and it's kicks some serious ass. And it's so damn quiet. So far, so good!

Over clocking to 1010mhz is a joke. I don't think there's a 7970 in existence that can't do ATLEAST 1050mhz on stock 1.17v. Mine is shitty 62% asic and does 1100 on stock voltage, but won't do 1200 even on 1.3v lol. Simply tweak in CCC hit apply and forget it.

That's my factory stock overclock, I currently have no need to overclock past 1010mhz considering I am running xfire. When I flashed a regular 7970 to a ghz bios edition; I had all kinds of issues. (prob the drivers released at that time)

Back