Is this a Vista Driver issue or my laptop

Haven

Supreme [H]ardness
So I have a brand new Dell Inspiron 9400 that I got with Vista Ultimate on it. I picked up a 4GB Giga Bank USB Flash drive. I plug it into the Vista laptop and it finds it but wants to install some drivers. So I check with IO Magic and they state they haven't tried it with Vista, and have no drivers for Vista.

A week later I just got a copy of CA Anti-Virus on a 2GB USB flash drive. Plug in the 2GB Flash drive and I need to install drivers also. No drivers can be found and I can't find anything on CA's site or Ultra's site about Vista Drivers.

Both drives work fine under XP. My other USB Memory Sticks work fine under Vista. So is this an issue with my Vista install and I should reload Vista on the brand new laptop? Or is it a driver issue and I should just wait?

Thanks for the ideas and help.

You shouldn't have to install drivers for it to work.

It's one of two things. Either Vista is trying to install ReadyBoost.

or....

The other possibility is that the drives are U3 capable meaning:
U3 is responsible for the development of a proprietary application design specification created for Microsoft Windows operating systems so that applications can be executed directly from a specially formatted USB flash drive.) which they are trying to install. Applications are allowed to write files or registry information to the host computer, but this information must be removed when the flash drive is ejected.

Click here for more U3 information

I did a quick search for you on U3 + Vista and found some information on U3.com

Does U3 support Vista? Windows 98? Mac?

I'm not sure if the above link will help you any, I've never used a U3 device before, but hopefully this will lead you in the right direction.

Neither one is a U3, I have a U3 drive, but I don't think I have tried it in there yet.

I was reading on Ultra's tech support forums that their USB drives were originally readyboost listed, but they removed it because of some issues.

I'll have to take a look at the readyboost info. I haven't really paid much attention to it yet.

Well I think it is my laptop. I got home grabbed another machine that has Vista (business instead of Ultimate) and both drives work fine. So I am figuring there is an issue with my laptop. I am just not sure what it is, yet.

I am thinking the OEM OS install from Dell, though it could be a Motherboard problem with the USB ports.

Back