Is this a 'video card' issue or a 'memory' issue ...?

vilhiem

Weaksauce
My computer lately gets a blue screen error upon Windows Vista startup, but after several attempts it does work. Is this a video card issue, a memory issue, or something else ...?

Attached are 2 images that show the problem.

182960-1314143047-0-l.jpg

182960-1314143047-1-l.jpg

Oh, and here's the specific error:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

Definitely need more information I think. It doesn't really sound like a videocard error to me... the videocard is not really being stressed in that situation.

The times you are able to get into windows, does it then work with no problem? What about starting a demanding task such as a benchmark or game within windows? Does it then crash at this point? Is anymore information on the crash provided? That location ID is not enough to pinpoint the problem, you should be able to click for more info.

What are your system specs, have you tried other drivers, when does this happen usually?

its either a driver issue or the video card is bad. I would lean more towards the video card being bad. Once you get artifacts and BSODs its more often the video card.

that is 100& your video memory going bad....

OR

its more likely that the IC controlling the vmem power is dying and not telling the VRM's to supply enough.

I have an 8800GTS that does exactly the same thing, but the memory on it was volt modded so I am not surprised it died. I am gonna go out on a limb here and suspect that someone secretly vmodded the card and isnt telling :p

I'd bet its a driver issues 1st....might want to pull out your vid card though and inspect the caps on it

How do I "inspect the caps" on the video card ...?
And what is the "IC controlling the vmem power" mean ...? Is that also a video card issue?

Thanks!!!

i'd take the card out and dust it off, and while you have it in your hands give it a good look over, then put the card back in and see if the issues go away.

Take a look at the caps on the video card when you pull it out, on the top of them the X like indent, make sure none of those are busted open, or are leaking

What is VRAM and how do I fix it ...?

Also, another 'symptom' is that once the system finally starts ... all the website logons & passwords are reset, meaning I have to re-enter them (like my Faceboof username and password, etc.).

VRAM is Video RAM/memory. It sounds like the chips themselves may be going bad, hence the video and pixel corruption.

As for fixing it, you can send it back to the manufacturer if it is still under warranty, or you can try baking the card in your oven. People have had varying success with baking, but it may be worth a shot.

Other than that, the only other option is to replace the card.

hmmm ... so it crashes and/or shows corruption a few times while starting up, but later it's fine ...???

and you've installed the latest video card drivers.

sounds like it must be the card itself is going bad. I doubt it's a memory issue.

could it be a power supply problem ...???

sounds like it must be the card itself is going bad. I doubt it's a memory issue.

could it be a power supply problem ...???

You just contradicted yourself. How could the card be bad, yet it is a PSU issue?
It really shows all of the signs of bad VRAM.
Why do you say it doesn't?

Allow me to pose the question in a different way ...

Can a bad video card cause a system to 'CRASH' ...?

Yes it can, easily. If the card malfunctions it can cause hardware errors leading to a BSOD or software errors causing the system to freeze up or become so unresponsive that the machine must be powered off.

Also, just dismiss Zorachus' post as he can't back what he states, nor does it make any sense.

Allow me to pose the question in a different way ...

Can a bad video card cause a system to 'CRASH' ...?

YES it can. I had a 5870 that was shitty. And it caused my system to crash completely. I had to downclock my video memory nearly 100 mhz for it be stable in some games.

To make a long story short a video card can cause it to crash and be unstable.

Thanks guys!

The system also loses all of it's stored user names/passwords from my web browser when it crashes. Does that still fit in line with a video card ...?

Thanks guys!

The system also loses all of it's stored user names/passwords from my web browser when it crashes. Does that still fit in line with a video card ...?

Yes, if your PSU is what is killing your video card. Definitely looks like a gpu problem but I would be more concerned to know if it is just to gpu or the psu failing that is giving you all these problems.

Thanks guys!

Your still running Windows 95 I mean Vista ? I say upgrade to Windows7 A.S.A.P. and you need a new VideoCard anyways for this Fall new generation of games. Get one of these top single GPU cards;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150531

or this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130587

Upgrading to Win7 is definitely recommended, but not necessary to fix his problem.
Those GPUs would be great, but we need to know his budget first.

From the screenshots shown, I'm almost positive that it is a VRAM issue, not a PSU issue.

If it were a PSU issue, your system would be shutting off and you would start seeing other hardware issues occur.

you can always troubleshoot test each ram and test on a different video card.... i think it's video as well

If its a PSU issue it would usually happen when your video card is at load. Whenever I've had problems with a PSU they don't usually have artifacts on the screen.

Screen artifacts is more often the video card.

For a good replacement for $100 it really depends on if you're gonna go new or used. New your options are little more limited.

Used you can usually find a good deal in the FS/FT section of the forums. Craigslist can be option I was able to get a 5850 for $80 a few days ago on Craigslist in my area.

But if you're need one now you can get 6670 and GTX 550ti for around $100-$120 on newegg.

If its a PSU issue it would usually happen when your video card is at load. Whenever I've had problems with a PSU they don't usually have artifacts on the screen.

Screen artifacts is more often the video card.

Exactly. Definitely not a PSU, very much so the graphics card going bad.

ok ... so how's about for around $200 clams ...? A similiar card that is (around 2 GB, etc.)

I'd recommend a used 6950 2GB if you can find one in that range. Great card, may unlock depending on what generation / age it is.

ok ... so how's about for around $200 clams ...? A similiar card that is (around 2 GB, etc.)

For that you could get a 6870 which is a very good card. What resolution do you use? The 2GB doesn't help as much until you get to resolutions of 256x1600 or higher.

Used you could get a 6950 maybe even a 2GB version for around that. I would browse newegg for new and use Ebay and FS/FT forums for used.

Back