Is this a PSU problem? (Corsair 400 W)

saito1234

Weaksauce
Recently more and more often my machine starts beeping (it isn't intermittent, but non-stop, continuous).

The CPU is an E6750, when it's under 100% load (eg video encode) the temperature will go up to 67-68 degrees, while idle is around 42-44 degrees. May this cause a problem, or is it a normal temperature?

It is the easiest to start the beeping with heavy load on the CPU, like video encoding, but recently it also does it sometimes when I'm watching online Flash streams, after a few minutes, which is pretty annoying. Once I stop what I'm doing (encoding, or whatever) it only takes 1-2 seconds for the beeping to stop.

I've already tried to leave it on 100% load for 5-10 minutes, but nothing happened, everything functions like usual, just the annoying loud beep ...

The PSU is a 400W Corsair power, so my another suspect is that it can't supply enough power when the CPU is under a heavy load, but the system works like this for year(s), and it only started to do this recently, never had a similar problem before.
Also it doesn't starts instantly when there's 100% load, only after a few minutes, and whenever the load is reduced it almost instantly stops... I think the sound is coming from the motherboard, but it's kinda hard to determine exactly.

Actually sounds like some kind of temperature monitoring software warning you once you hit a certain temp. Do you have Realtemp or something like it running? I know my system is set to start alerting me if it hits over 65c.

From where the beep is coming from? It's not from motherboard for sure.
Do you have a fan controller which have a basic alarm temperature set on it?

Some cases have a speaker that is connected to the motherboard, but that sound is produced by the motherboard.

99.9% sure it's not a PSU problem.

Post the rest of your specs so we can judge the power requirements of the whole PC. If you're running a massive graphics card and 10 hard drives then the PSU might be struggling, but if you're running a low end setup then it should be plenty powerful enough.

Try running some temperature monitoring software like CoreTemp (http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/) and see how hot the CPU gets when you put it under load.
Also, crack open the case and check things aren't getting to toasty in there. Does your case have any airflow? Is the chipset heatsink hot to the touch?

Recently more and more often my machine starts beeping (it isn't intermittent, but non-stop, continuous).

The CPU is an E6750, when it's under 100% load (eg video encode) the temperature will go up to 67-68 degrees, while idle is around 42-44 degrees. May this cause a problem, or is it a normal temperature?

It is the easiest to start the beeping with heavy load on the CPU, like video encoding, but recently it also does it sometimes when I'm watching online Flash streams, after a few minutes, which is pretty annoying. Once I stop what I'm doing (encoding, or whatever) it only takes 1-2 seconds for the beeping to stop.

I've already tried to leave it on 100% load for 5-10 minutes, but nothing happened, everything functions like usual, just the annoying loud beep ...

The PSU is a 400W Corsair power, so my another suspect is that it can't supply enough power when the CPU is under a heavy load, but the system works like this for year(s), and it only started to do this recently, never had a similar problem before.
Also it doesn't starts instantly when there's 100% load, only after a few minutes, and whenever the load is reduced it almost instantly stops... I think the sound is coming from the motherboard, but it's kinda hard to determine exactly.

System specs?

Thanks for your answers, I've checked the settings in the motherboard, and it alarmed me once the CPU was over 60c, so 67-68 was already too much at 100% load.
I've cleaned the dust from around the CPU cooler, and now everything seems fine, also it is around 30-40c, which is much better!

Back