Is this a motherboard short?

Valaire

Gawd
I've been having problems with my computer ever since I re-seated a heatsink. It basically shuts down after about .5 seconds.

I've taken it out of the case and replaced the PSU. Just have it ATX 24 pin, 12v pin, cpu fan, 1 stick of RAM, and cpu-heatsink installed.

Today, after reseating the heatsink, it started up again on the 3rd try of shorting the power switch pins. After it started, I left it on for 60 minutes and it did not shut down so I think that can eliminate heatsink/overheating concerns.

After shutting the power and trying again, no dice. It took perhaps 30 more attempts to get it to power up again. Otherwise it shuts down after .5 seconds.

I hooked it up to my case's power switch and same symptoms, although I haven't yet got it to power up with the case button.

Is this a motherboard short requiring me to replace the motherboard, based on the above symptoms? The specs are in my signature.

Thank you.

New development:

It won't start if I just touch the screwdriver to the two prongs, much like hitting a case button won't start it.

But if I wiggle the screwdriver vigorously between the two pins, it will start the computer consistently within about 5 seconds.

Any way to salvage this thing short of a soldering iron and a replacement motherboard component?

Same issue here with a P35-DS3R board I just bought from a member.

Worked fine and when I re-seat the hsf it started to act the same as yours OP.

I'm filling out an RMA now... it is going to be a long ass waiting game.

Was wondering if someone with more electrical engineering knowledge than me could tell me what it means that I can start it up using the aforementioned method and if there is any way I could fix it myself.

It's perfectly fine to start up your PC using the aforementioned method. Are you still experience any shutdowns when using that method?

With that said, try a few other case power switches to rule out a bad case power switch.

Also try reseating the CPU and HSF.

Back