Is this a good Windows Experience Index?

That score is based on hardware and drivers installed. There's nothing to compare that score to. More importantly, providing your hardware and driver information really seems moot when weighed against a better question of "Can my machine currently do what I want it to?"

As a general blank statement, those are above the average system scores, but like PTNL said...they are moot.

Gilthanis & wra18th : Thanks, that's really all I wanted to know. If the 6.9 was abnormally low, I'd have looked into it. Not gonna sweat it too much now.

I think most low end systems typically float at 3 (and I think is the minimum recommend for Aero but please don't hold me to that). Anything lower then 3 pretty much should stick to basic graphics and not be used for much but bare minimum things like office.

Will do, soon as you think about the pretentious and condescending answer you gave. :rolleyes:

(Know what I do when someone asks a question I don't have an answer for? I skip it. Give it a try next time, instead of starting shit.)
LOL!

Think again about your question of "How good is this number" -- As I stated, there's nothing concrete to compare. My belief was that your question was really the tip of the iceberg, hence my first response providing a more qualified answer and asking if there's really more to it than what was given in the first post. Reading your responses has clearly proven otherwise.

Don't immediately jump on the defensive bandwagon, or toss insult to those actually interested in aiding you.

LOL!

Think again about your question of "How good is this number" -- As I stated, there's nothing concrete to compare. My belief was that your question was really the <snip>
Please stop trying to sugarcoat your condescension after the fact. It boggles my mind that you're not seeing how pompous you are, and the negativity you're creating on these forums by perpetuating your trolling. I wasn't looking for a life lesson.

Don't immediately jump on the defensive bandwagon, or toss insult to those actually interested in aiding you.
Aiding me? Is that what you think you're doing? ;) That *is* funny.

Listen, just let it go. Move on. I'm sure there's a lot of people you could be "aiding" who will appreciate it more than I do. Go aid them.

I do not put much if any faith in the Windows Experience Index score(s). If anything, all such scores are good for is to weed out the severely underperforming or old components. They are not good for differentiating even wide differences in the performance of current-generation components; for example, the difference in the graphics score between a GTX 580 and a GT 430 is only 1.2 points on a given system when in reality it is much greater than that.

Last edited:
I do not put much if any faith in the Windows Experience Index score(s). If anything, all such scores are good for is to weed out the severely underperforming or old components. They are not good for differentiating even wide differences in the performance of current-generation components.

While I wouldn't bet my house by these scores, I'm not willing to say they're worthless either. I had a 7.1 with my Caviar drive, and got a 7.8 with my SSD. I also saved on the build by getting non-gaming video card, and that's also reflected in the score as my weakest link.

Let's not go too crazy with the extremes, here. That index is NOT completely worthless.

no, but asking google is usually the first thing I do

You would have asked Google how your scores compare to your tech-savvy friends at Hard Forums? Because that's what I did with this thread, and I'm not sure Google could have helped me there.

Any other condescending remarks you want to share with me, Chris?

Please stop trying to sugarcoat your condescension after the fact. It boggles my mind that you're not seeing how pompous you are, and the negativity you're creating on these forums by perpetuating your trolling. I wasn't looking for a life lesson

Any other condescending remarks you want to share with me, Chris?

Wow, even more undue overreaction and incitement. JYeager's clearly established his level of reading comprehension; let's move along, folks.

WEI is not a good indicator. If you want to know if your system performs like it should use benchmarks.

WEI really doesn't indicate much at all. My Intel G2 SSD is ranked at 5.9 WEI. :rolleyes:

9koxnc.jpg

Mine with the system below

|
|
V

WEI is only based on what the system needs not how good your hardware is over all

Don't really understand how the WEI works. My much older laptop (ASUS G51 gets a 5.9) is receiving much higher scores than newer laptops (M11X R2 gets 3.7) with updated gear. It seems like a bunch of bologna to me.

jyeager im not trying to be condescending or insulting, but the windows experience indicator is a terrible measure of system performance and should be ignored. this is what you are missing from the above posts. the WEI has been brought up many times on these forums and its a generally accepted fact that its a completely useless benchmark. hell the entire thing is based on the lowest performing piece of hardware on your system. basically if you dont have an SSD it is going to give you a rating of 5.0 or so, no matter how fast the rest of your system is.

you arent going to accomplish much with this thread, simply because those who could provide you with a good answer arent going to bother based on the question you asked. if you want to know the relative performance of your system, the windows experience indicator is not the thing to tell you.

There was nothing pretentious and condescending about the original replies to your OP.

WEI is moot. Think of it as an "optimal score" rather than a gauge of how good your computer is. An inferior computer can get higher WEI scores.

On a side point, I find you incredibly defensive, which annoys the hell out of me.

5.9 on an SSD generally means that your either dont have trim working or no AHCI..

Beyond that I believe the Point in the WEI is simply so that if you have to call microsoft Tech support they can tell where your weakest link is in a hurry. & the max score goes up with each generation of windows.

Back