Is this a good switch?

Netgear products are pretty good, and they have a lifetime warranty. As long as it has all the features you're looking for, I'd say go for it.

I've got the 10/100 version of that switch running in a rack at work and it seems to be solid. I also have the 16 port version of that switch as the backbone to my private network that controls my cable tv video equipment (why does everything have to talk over TCP/IP these days :p) Both have been rock solid

I have 3 or 4 of those at my office. When we first installed them we had issues. We had to have Netgear replace them all. Which they did, free of charge. Luckily our network wasnt live yet as we were building a new network. But still, we had everything nice and neat and had to take these out. But lifetime warranty is great. Id get these again in a heartbeat. They had a bad batch about a year ago, but everythings fine now. I only use netgear switches and recently began moving my wireless and routers over to netgear for my higher-end clients. The small mom-pop shops i still use linksys on (higher-end for us are networks of 40+ users, we're not doing massive computer networks really)

The TRENDnet TEG-S24DG is only $140. I've had great results with their smaller desktop switches (2 5-ports and an 8-port). A friend just bought the TEG-S16DG while wiring up his house, but hasn't started using it yet.

I do like the Netgear stuff I've used in the past, though my little 5-port switch lost 2 ports, which essentially turns it into just a splitter (1 in, 2 out) and my cousin's early WiFi router seemed to get wonky after a while.

Just be aware that it looks like it`s fan cooled... don`t know how loud or quiet that would be, or where you intend to install i

Noise may not be an issue for you :)

Maybe the newer ones are cooler/quieter, but just know I have several aging ones at work at least 3 years old and they are louder than some of the servers I have. It's absolutely uncalled for for a switch to be that loud, it's like they went with the cheapest fans possible on those.

Like I said though, newer ones may be better, but my experience with them so far is that they are really loud. If noise isn't an issue, and you just need it to do some basic stuff, by all means the switches do run just fine.

In the same range but a very solid switch look at the HP 1810G-24. For why go search this forum. Very solid. Cheap. Robust with a lot of good features. Also the 1810G is fanless so it's cool and silent.

Back