Is this a good, reliable way to attach a standard telephone to a router?

biggles

2[H]4U
https://www.amazon.com/Honbay-Telephone-Connector-Cable-Landline/dp/B01N8XIT4O?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1
Would the product above work with a standard telephone?

We use wifi calling on T-Mobile (me) and AT&T (wife) since the cell signal at our townhouse is weak. Voice signal drops from time to time on our smartphones. Possibly from wifi intereference from neighbors, I do not know. I have spent time and money improving the wifi network. It has both 2.4 and 5 ghz bands and installed a wifi extender.

Internet provider is Comcast, we get consistent speeds of 95 Mbps. I have not noticed this connection dropping on the desktop PC which has wired internet.

Anyway, the thinking is that by having a totally wired telephone we could get a consistent signal without voice drops. If it does not work we could always order a regular landline from the telephone company, but that would be a last resort.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
no. you cant connect a land line phone to a router and expect it to magically become a voip phone. google for voip in your area.

I've had issues with VOIP calls dropping either over WiFi or LTE before (esp. with Google Voice), so I would make sure it's not an issue with the service first before trying any new hardware. Download an app on your phone that you can do a constant ping to your router/gateway for a few mins to see if there's any packet loss to the router. If there's not, then the issue is either with the service itself or between your ISP/router and the service.

Consolidate your cell carriers to one that will support a network extender.

I have spent time and money improving the wifi network. It has both 2.4 and 5 ghz bands and installed a wifi extender.
Have you spent your time and money in the right areas though? Depending on your router and/or size of your town house you shouldn't need a extender in a small townhouse.
Is the wifi extender rebroadcasting the signal or is it wired?
~Its possible your signal is over saturated, or trying to switch unsuccessfully between the two wifi access points causing dropped calls (or has too much latency hopping between the extender and main AP).

Could you perhaps just use a computer app voip program to make calls?
A secondary option is an actual VOIP phone that connects with a ethernet cable (and corresponding service).

Have you spent your time and money in the right areas though? Depending on your router and/or size of your town house you shouldn't need a extender in a small townhouse.
Is the wifi extender rebroadcasting the signal or is it wired?
~Its possible your signal is over saturated, or trying to switch unsuccessfully between the two wifi access points causing dropped calls (or has too much latency hopping between the extender and main AP).

Could you perhaps just use a computer app voip program to make calls?
A secondary option is an actual VOIP phone that connects with a ethernet cable (and corresponding service).

Or use a magic jack and their service with a regular phone. A whopping $60 a year for unlimited calling, including long distance.... $49.99 for the first year AND you can pick one up at pretty much any local store.. even Walmart.

And they now have an app you can put on your phone so you get your home phone calls on your cell phone.

Note: VOIP is almost never going to be 100% problem free no matter what provider and equipment you use.

More details on the network config:
TP Link Archer AC1750 c7 is the router. When purchased a couple of years ago it was one of the higher rated, budget dual band routers. Firmware is updated. The router is in the office upstairs.

Townhouse is 1650 sq ft, 2 floors.

Here is the wifi extender currently in upstairs bedroom:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N1WW638/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have been paying closer attention to the issue and it appears that the wife's iPhone 11 is NOT dropping signal when connected to the 5 ghz extended wifi network. But the LG V35 DOES drop out occasionally for 3-4 seconds. Here is a guess: maybe the V35 can't keep the 5 ghz connection? I am experimenting with the 2.4 ghz extended network on the V35 to test this.

Roku and iPads do not show any signs of dropped connections. Roku uses 5 ghz extended netowrk, iPad we switch back and forth between 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz as needed.

I will look into the magic jack. And maybe consider replacing router with a wifi 6 model?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
TMO will give you a free mini cell tower that uses your connection at your house. Problem is it is open to anyone. I believe att has something similar. You just need to call support and request them

no. you cant connect a land line phone to a router and expect it to magically become a voip phone. google for voip in your area.
No, but circuit emulation is fairly easy to implement. Just to push a two wire phone line over the network for transport. The problem is that equipment costs won’t be worth it for just one phone line.

OP, you need to find a different solution.

Last edited:
TMO will give you a free mini cell tower that uses your connection at your house. Problem is it is open to anyone. I believe att has something similar. You just need to call support and request them
Good idea. Unfortunately we have t-mobile and att through an mvno, consumer cellular.

Back