Is this a good idea for a low cost (<$700) PC, very little gaming?

Vithar

Limp Gawd
Case: Silvestone Percision PS09B
Motherbaord: GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XM-D3H
PSU: EVGA 500W
HDD: Western Digital 500 GB
CPU: AMD A10 7850K
Monitor: Asus 19.5 in 1600x900
CPU Cooler: Silverstone Argon
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1600 (Cheapest DDR3 1600 with a heatsink)
DVD Burner too.

The people using it wont be doing any heavy gaming but I want it to last at least 4 years (meaning it can still do general office stuff 4 years from today), also it needs to be in a small black case. According to Newegg the total for these is $687. Don't worry about the OS, I got an extra windows 7 64 bit CD I bought but never used.

I was also considering a laptop, the Asus X550LB might also do the job for them but they really wont be using it for it's portability, though I guess once in a blue moon it could get used for that. One of my concerns here is how does the GT 740m compare the the Radeon R7?

EDIT:
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
General purpose office
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$700 before tax
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
CA, US
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case, Motherboard, CPU, CPU Cooler, RAM, GPU (Dedicated or Integrated), RAM, DVD Burner, HDD, PSU, Monitor.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
6) Will you be overclocking?
No
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
Preferably 1600x900 or better at 18.5 or batter
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Mid March at the latest
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, 64 Bit

Last edited:
Please answer the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!" so that we can help you better. Though off the bat, it doesn't look like a good build for the money. I'm 100% sure you can do a whole lot better.

Also, what RAM did you choose?

700 isnt low cost.

I;d recommend cutting cost on few things and look into 2nd hand stuff when it comes to CPU/Memory and case and stuff. Stuff basically that cant really be hindered or depreciate in performance even after use. Other things can be bought new.

Please answer the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!" so that we can help you better. Though off the bat, it doesn't look like a good build for the money. I'm 100% sure you can do a whole lot better.

Also, what RAM did you choose?

Done, see Edits

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Mid March at the latest
You're planning too soon man. Our hardware recommendations can change quickly within a matter of weeks let alone a month and a half from now. If you want an up-to-date build list, please come back when you're 1-2 weeks away from purchasing to ask for advice.

Though if you were going to buy THIS WEEK, then these are the changes I would make:
For $5 more, you can get twice the space and slightly more performance in the HDD:
$60 - Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive

For $1 less, you can get the more trustworthy and more widely known Corsair CX500 500W PSU:
$50 - Corsair CX500 500W PSU

For $6 less, you can get the Coolermaster N200 case which has far far better cable management features, has an extra 120mm fan, and has more better cooling due to the more open mesh front:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00COGDERY/?tag=extension-kb-20

Again, the above advice only applies for THIS WEEK.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back