Is this a good deal or can I build it cheaper

Hikaru IchijoSL

Limp Gawd
This is a Alienware system

$1600 and $200 Promo Visa® Prepaid Card Included*
9th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 9700K (8-Core, 12MB Cache, OC up to 4.6GHz across all cores)
Windows 10 Home 64bit English
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)
Alienware 850 Watt Power Supply with High Performance Liquid Cooling
16GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2666MHz; up to 64GB (additional memory sold separately)
1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

These are the specs I would like in a new system,.
I have a HGST 4tb I will also stick in,

So basically 1400 for the system after you get the card. That's not unreasonable for what your getting.

Depends on what you are doing with the system and if you are set on buying pre-built overall though.

The i7 9700K is superior to AMD in the gaming world, but if you are branching out further than that, might be worth looking at AMD offering. Cheaper too.
The power supply is just a generic Dell right? Not sure about that. Seems iffy with a 2070 Super.

Actually, if Dell sells the 2070 Super with it, the PSU is designed to be more than sufficient. Just saying how it goes at Dell.

The power supply is just a generic Dell right? Not sure about that. Seems iffy with a 2070 Super.

Dell power supplies are made by Delta <edit> and LiteOn </edit>. Nothing iffy about them.

Last edited:
It does not seem to be a great deal

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NMYLvn

I will hold off I thought it was so good that I had a jump on it.

I am a gamer so I prefer intel and I wanted the 2070 super because I am upgrading my monitor from a 24" 1200p to a 32" 4k when I find a deal.

Last edited:

I am a gamer so I prefer intel and I wanted the 2070 super because I am upgrading my monitor from a 24" 1200p to a 32" 4k when I find a deal.

I guess I'm confused. A pcpartpicker price of $1600 (after mail in rebate) (and usually more pain, like shipping, and of course assembly and random warranties) vs a pre-built at the same price with a bigger PSU plus a $200 card. Seems like an ok deal.

Really I'm looking at the psu in a 2 year old xps and it says liteon

Oops, forgot about LiteOn. They're good too though.

It's not a good deal if you just really enjoy building your own system and tweaking it as much as humanly possible. Otherwise, you save $200 and get to deal with a single company if you have any troubles. Plus you can extend that warranty up to 4 years at anytime in original warranty period.

I guess I'm confused. A pcpartpicker price of $1600 (after mail in rebate) (and usually more pain, like shipping, and of course assembly and random warranties) vs a pre-built at the same price with a bigger PSU plus a $200 card. Seems like an ok deal.

I am not saying it is a bad deal but I can get the price down even more with buying the parts from B&H I do not have to pay sales tax. I wasn't too happy when i saw the Alienware case in person it is to cramped for my taste.

It was more the thought that I might still decide to go AMD, and the deal wasn't great enough to make me commit right now.

Kinda depends on what your usage is & what you are expecting from it? What kind of monitor are you driving? Are you killing it @ 4k or 1440/120hz? Is a 2070 Super going to be overkill or can you scale back to a 2060? Are you opposed to buying used or does it need to be new? Are you near a MicroCenter at all?

I mostly game but I do so video editing on occasion.

I am driving a 24" but I am moving to a 32" 4k when I can find a good deal. So I would need the extra power to run the monitor. I am in Phoenix so no microcenter near me. I do no like buying used. I want a higher end card to last me many years, My current system is a i7-2600 with a AMD 6700 card so it is pretty old and I was going to upgrade the video card after I bought the last computer but then I would need a better PSU.

It was more the thought that I might still decide to go AMD, and the deal wasn't great enough to make me commit right now.

Ok. Gotcha. You'll save a couple of hundred on a reasonable AMD build. But a lot of those motherboards don't have dual M.2s. Just an observation.

Ok. Gotcha. You'll save a couple of hundred on a reasonable AMD build. But a lot of those motherboards don't have dual M.2s. Just an observation.

No you won’t.

You will spend more on a motherboard and less on a processor but total price will be about the same

Only the x570 boards are really expensive, and all that extra money buys you is PCIe 4.0 (read: useless). Good x470/b450 and especially x370 boards are going real cheap now. I recently picked up a Crosshair VI Extreme x370 board for $180 and that board reviewed very well here on the [H]. Additionally, there have been few problems with the Ryzen 3000 series and these boards (certainly no more than the x570s are having right now).

Unfortunately there are Ryzen BIOS/AGESA bugs right now, but they are hitting every kind of Ryzen board from every manufacturer. They're getting slowly but surely sorted, but they do exist as an issue nonetheless as of right now.

Prebuilt if your within $100 of a DIY cost.

Way i look at it, is that $100 is assembly charge for working through any bugs, mishaps etc I might encounter for a DIY system.

So you’re saying that a reasonably priced AMD board + cheap AMD CPU and a reasonably priced Intel board + expensive Intel CPU are about the same total price?

No.
I am saying that the same tier intel cpu with a reasonably priced board is about the same price as an AMD system.

Back