Is this a good deal for a folding-only machine?

HellSpawn

Limp Gawd
At Fry's Electronics this weekend, there is an ad for an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ with an ECS K7VTA3 8.0c motherboard (onboard LAN but no video) for a combo total of $79.99. So, add a stick of RAM for $25-50 and you're looking at a whole new system for just over $100. I'm thinking of getting one for a fold-only "stick it in the closet and let it run" machine. What ya'll think?

I think that y'all who live close enough to Fry's to get these deals should stop making the rest of us JEALOUS!! :)

Good deal.

All you gotta do is check Newegg and see that an OEM 2400+ runs $75 by itself to know that you're getting yourself a heck of a good deal. I wish I had a Fry's around here. :(

Yeah, I had seen that, so that's what I was figuring on. I may just get a second one for the [H]ell of it.

Quote from Contact: "Why only get one when you can get two for twice the price?"

Originally posted by HellSpawn
Yeah, I had seen that, so that's what I was figuring on. I may just get a second one for the [H]ell of it.

Quote from Contact: "Why only get one when you can get two for twice the price?"

BASTAGE ;) that was my quote.

ok.....fine....

"but why have 2 when you can get 4?" LOL

Originally posted by Morpheus256
BASTAGE ;) that was my quote.

ok.....fine....

"but why have 2 when you can get 4?" LOL

why have 4 when you can get te-damn you mwarps- 100!

Best possible deal by fry's is that 1.6 duron with the mobo for only $39.99 :eek: :eek: :eek: I would wait for that deal, hack the BIOS on the mobo and o/c the hell outta the applebread. Cheapest folding box evar.

FOLD ON!!!

Buy several.......they are small;)

Heck of a way to start a farm for sure

BillR

Looks like a real steal, I'd get a couple. But that seems like a great little setup for running folding@home, I might need to build myself a machine for that.

Originally posted by pduan87
Best possible deal by fry's is that 1.6 duron with the mobo for only $39.99 :eek: :eek: :eek: I would wait for that deal, hack the BIOS on the mobo and o/c the hell outta the applebread. Cheapest folding box evar.

FOLD ON!!!

A few days ago they had this same deal but with a duron 1.8 instead a 1.6.

I'd be all over these deals if Frys offered them online at outpost.com. This sucks. ;)

Yeh, you know it's bad when you go to Las Vegas and the high point of the trip is Fry's :)

Originally posted by gnewbury
Yeh, you know it's bad when you go to Las Vegas and the high point of the trip is Fry's :)

LMAO

What would probably worse would be going to Las Vegas to win money and spend it there at frys :)

Man, you guys all suck!! (Ones living close to frys). As much as I hate frys, I'd like to get deals like that :) I think I should really have my friends visit that store for me.

So this new deal for 79$, is it one per customer only?

Originally posted by SupaFly99
So this new deal for 79$, is it one per customer only?

Yes, it was advertised as 1 per customer. But of course the "official" (maybe legal) definition of a "customer" is simply walking back in out of the parking lot, so you could theoretically be 5 "customers" in one day, if you so desired.

I'm wishing now that I had bought 2 or more when I got one. I went back today and they were already out of the CPUs. They still had the boards, but no chips, and they won't do but one rain check per person, and that rule seems a little harder to get around. :^(

1.6 duron deal was pretty sweet... and its now a nice layer on the top shelf of my desk- total cost = $105 for all parts needed to fold.

Back