is this a good ccna kit? supports 12.4

oROEchimaru

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.ciscoland.net/catalog/item/8097286/8735641.htm

Kit includes 3 x 2650 Routers with 64 Mb. RAM and 16 Mb. Flash. They are loaded with IOS 12.4

2650 Routers are a faster version of the 2620 model!

Here is the detailed list of Main Components:

- R1: 2650 Router 64D/16F 1 Serial Port + 1 Fast Ethernet Port
- R2: 2650 Router 64D/16F 1 Serial Port + 1 Fast Ethernet Port
- R3: 2650 Router 64D/16F 2 Serial Ports (Frame/Relay Switch) + 1 Fast Ethernet Port
- S1: 2950 Switch: 24 Fast Ethernet Ports
- S2: 2950 Switch: 24 Fast Ethernet Ports

looking at other posts, building your own kit can be a good learning experience to. so i might go that route and use this as a template. i want to be able to support modern IOS 12.4+
it looks like buying parts separate saves you 100$ or so.

Last edited:
That is ok if you don't want to spend the time on ebay building your own lab.

But you really do want the 2650XM series with maxed out ram and flash to support the latest IOS.

If you plan to go beyond the CCNA i would suggest building your own from ebay and getting routers like the 2600XM series that can also be used for the CCNP etc.

This is a good forum and thread to check out also. http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/15235-post-your-lab-pics.html

That is ok if you don't want to spend the time on ebay building your own lab.

But you really do want the 2650XM series with maxed out ram and flash to support the latest IOS.

If you plan to go beyond the CCNA i would suggest building your own from ebay and getting routers like the 2600XM series that can also be used for the CCNP etc.

This is a good forum and thread to check out also. http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/15235-post-your-lab-pics.html

Funny you should reference that thread, I have a post on there when I built my lab. In fact, that thread is how I found my way to HardForums - I was looking for a new rack, and people there were using the Skeleteks... So I started looking at pictures on google of the rack with equipment and found myself here in the gallery. I went through every single thread of the gallery... and well here I am now!

Anyways, to the OP... stay away from kits. They are usually more of a rip off then anything. You can always find deals on ebay for cheaper.

The 3 dudes here at work that are CCNA all used packet tracer and passed with flying colors. Why are people wasting money on labs for CCNA? They all said 1/2 the test was subnetting.

The 3 dudes here at work that are CCNA all used packet tracer and passed with flying colors. Why are people wasting money on labs for CCNA? They all said 1/2 the test was subnetting.

Is it really wasting money though? I guess if you just wanted to get CCNA because your job wanted you to get it, and you really didn't have much personal interest in your profession, then yeah I guess there's no reason to buy stuff you might not ever otherwise mess with.

I think though especially for the CCNA and CCNP stuff, that the cost of entry to get most of the gear is so low (under $1K for a pretty capable setup) that.. well, why not be able to play with the stuff and have true hands-on experience.

Also, geeks like gear. So what?

I will probably go the tracer route then try the hands on route if i need it.

Just the type of engineer I want on my team.

You'll need it because PT doesn't support everything that real equipment does. I know because I used it as well and also used real equipment as well. PT was good for firing up something at work when I had some spare time. Real equipment when I got home after I found out there was stuff you couldn't do.

I used PT to pass my test but if i would do it all again i would have built a home lab. I was able to pass yes but i also got to use some stuff at work to help be perpare.

Back