Is this a decent deal on an APC server rack?

mryerse

2[H]4U
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ele/975752343.html

I'm thinking of buying it and installing it in my garage.

I'll put all my network equipment in it and a few servers.

Also, what is the typical way to run power to these? I'm going to wire it's own circuit and was thinking of 220 but am planning on 110 for compatibility. I've seen some cool vertical power strips in data centers that show the amount of power currently being drawn so you know where you're at. I'm not too worried about cooling with the lack of equipment I have now, but at some point I could have a lot.

Thanks

Its a "Ok" Deal. I paid $200 each for Dell 42u racks with everything + power distribution. I would run 2 20amp 120v circuits to it. 220v only if you play to load it up with a MASSIVE APC battery backup that requires 220.

Ditto on the multiple 20 amp 120 lines unless you have a specific need for the 220's.
When you get the electrician in make sure you get the lines run with room for more in the future and look into other power needs in the garage if you use it as a shop too (it's easier and cheaper to get multiple lines done at once).

Thanks. Thank god my neighbor is the electrician. He helped me run some cables before and is pretty good at it. Right now I only have one 12 amp for the whole garage which is silly for the builders to do. I'll run two 20's as suggested. Outside of the rack, I'm also going to have a wall mounted LCD TV, possibly with an xbox. I think those could run off the power from the rack. There will also be a treadmill in the room. It will be on a different circuit than the rack. I suppose it could share a circuit with the rest of the garage so long as I don't use it with power tools at the same time, and provided that the circuit is upgraded from 12 amp.

It's not a bad deal, I paid 300 for a newer APC rack with a PDU. If you watch ebay, you can catch the metered APC PDU's for cheap too. I caught a brand new one for 100bucks. Like above, unless you have a 220v UPS, go with the 2x 120v 20amp.

Yeah, definitely get that 12 amp line replaced or supplemented, that wouldn't even power my sawzall :p

Decent price......anything under 600 bucks for one in good shape is fine. It's not the initial price..but the shipping that can bring up the total cost. ;)

Back