Is there such thing as too [H]?

Originally posted by DocFaustus
Your financial ability, or lack thereof, has no relevence on the accomplishments of the people that do have the necessasary funds. Moreso, people like Stang do this for the thrill and challenge. It does not mean they are made of money, only that this is where they choose to divert thier extra funds. This is our hobby.

To turn snob because you lack the resources, funds, or skills needed to get to the very cutting edge is simply a petty additude.

You may be able to take up the argument that it is not cost effective. And given the right guidelines (bang for the buck), you would be correct. However, the best of the best is never for the thrifty shopper. Bang for the buck is useful for finding what fits your personal needs and budget.

Disclaimer: the use of the words "you" and "your" in the above post were not directed at any specific person. They were used for simplicity of writing, so take no offence.

Tactful ;D

I dont believe that "knowing" the mods makes you [H] or not, taking the risk of doing them (and actually knowing how to do them, not what they are used for... anyone can infer that a 'vmod' is a 'voltage mod' and it does something with the 'voltage' (i.e. up or stabilize it). Breaking out the soldering iron and ruining any chance of RMA is where it's at, IMO. I'm not made of money either, in fact, i really dont have much room to replace the stuff i do ruin. Thus, i am more careful, and read up especially well ;D

Originally posted by diredesire
I dont believe that "knowing" the mods makes you [H] or not, taking the risk of doing them (and actually knowing how to do them, not what they are used for... anyone can infer that a 'vmod' is a 'voltage mod' and it does something with the 'voltage' (i.e. up or stabilize it). Breaking out the soldering iron and ruining any chance of RMA is where it's at, IMO.

I think we've struck a [H] note here :)

I'm in the same position...can't afford much, but what I can afford, I like to get the most out of.

We get what we can, mod the sh*t out of it, and are proud of what we've done. There's no need to bash that.

I'm hella proud to have gotten my 9600xt to the speeds of 630/745 with vmem, vgpu, vddq mods...no way I can RMA it now, and it still may not run on par with a 9700pro at higher res', but I'm damn proud of it.

It's not about the money...it's about the [H]...

Originally posted by Stang Man
problem is, i dont see this forum being [H] at all anymore..

people saying an overclock isn't impressive just because of the cooling used?

sorry, i am holding a grudge against some people here, just because of that^^

anyone that says that an overclock isn't impressive or [H]ard because of the cooling used has obviously never tried to build a damn phase change system or mod a phase change system in order to get an insane OC. They also haven't played around with LN2...gimme a break, if you spill a drop of that shat on your skin you are looking at hardcore frostbite....very [H]ard.

Also, even with subzero cooling, you still have to do a lot of other moddage to sqeeze out those last mhz.

IMO, extreme cooling is another tool that goes in the [H] box right next to voltage mods and whatever in the h311 else works to get a system running as fast as possible.

If anyone thinks that does not take some [H] skills, go pull apart a prommie, discharge the system, pull out the factory cap tube, refill it with 404 or 507, swap out evaporators, tweak the cap tube length for that refrigerant and evap, braze everything back up, do a triple evac of the cooling loop, re-tweak as necessary, reinsulate all the shat so you dont run into condensation problems, then move the sensors around so the fricken factory ultra-low temp alarm doesn't go apeshit 30 seconds after you turn the damn thing on...if that doesnt sound like enough fun, go buy all the parts and slap together a stable cascade system from the ground up with R1150 running in the low stage. :D

overclocking forum.

This is the Overclocking and Cooling section in the forums of [H]ard | Overclockers Comparison Page. Seems some people forget that.

Oh no!! you let the cat out of the bag!! :)
Next thing I need to see in the thread is the "E" word.

My idea of being [H] is to keep trying new things...while realizing what you are doing. Staying with the standard..or defaults, IMO, makes one {S}

Disclaimer: the use of the words "you" and "your" in the above post were not directed at any specific person. They were used for simplicity of writing, so take no offence.

if that was aimed at me, i didn't take offense, don't worry, reading some post sure as hell isn't gonna offend me

Nope, not aimed at you. I put that in because of the way I wrote my post and because I was quoting you to show what kinda prompted my thinking. I chose your post because it was to the point.

Originally posted by kllrnohj
if that was aimed at me, i didn't take offense, don't worry, reading some post sure as hell isn't gonna offend me

Damn, guess we'll have to try harder...:p

Originally posted by nst6563
Damn, guess we'll have to try harder...:p

cmon, bring it, im just gonna take it and/or give dish back

more to the point, i agree with you DocFaustus

EDIT:
Oh no!! you let the cat out of the bag!!
Next thing I need to see in the thread is the "E" word.

wtf? what is the "E" word?

maybe it stands for "Elipzoid"...as in the acronym E.L.F. ... Elipzoid Lizard Flipper.... not to be confused with Extremely Low Frequency...

no?

too [H]ard?

using liquid nitrogen to cool yer sound card?
watercooling and pelts to cool a floppy drive?
a black ice extreme, a custom built waterblock with an 80w pelt, 1140gph pump and 1/2" tubing throughout the entire loop to cool yer northbridge?

wait....scratch out that last one....that is perfectly sane overclocking technique.

Originally posted by weapon--
too [H]ard?

using liquid nitrogen to cool yer sound card?
watercooling and pelts to cool a floppy drive?
a black ice extreme, a custom built waterblock with an 80w pelt, 1140gph pump and 1/2" tubing throughout the entire loop to cool yer northbridge?

wait....scratch out that last one....that is perfectly sane overclocking technique.

why stop at 80 watts? hell...DOUBLE IT! :p

maybe it stands for "Elipzoid"...as in the acronym E.L.F. ... Elipzoid Lizard Flipper.... not to be confused with Extremely Low Frequency...

no?
The "E" word is a product that starts with "Ever"
don't say it...a ban may ensue

Originally posted by Fark_Maniac
The "E" word is a product that starts with "Ever"
don't say it...a ban may ensue

From Rolla huh? Ready for St. Pat's day??? Got the green jello shots ready?

From Rolla huh? Ready for St. Pat's day??? Got the green jello shots ready?
Court elections were last night...the grotto had 3 dollar pitchers of bud light / miller. Every pitcher that went over the counter was green. Between myself and two other buddies, we had 7 pitchers....St Pat's has already started. We pick up the keg this afternoon...I have a CO2 setup and my buddy has an unlimited supply of ice...this will be the best ever!

Originally posted by Stang Man
problem is, i dont see this forum being [H] at all anymore..

people saying an overclock isn't impressive just because of the cooling used?

sorry, i am holding a grudge against some people here, just because of that^^

Sorry to dip into the 2nd page, but I just read this....I skipped it @ 1st... :p
I hear ya man & read of ur oc here (& @ other unnamed forums... ;) ) and I must say that is one hell of an accomplishment, IMHO. Don't sweat the naysayers, they're just jealous b/c a.) they don't have a prommie b.)they couldn't do it w/ a Bowman or herefishy phase changer & c.)b/c it might void the warranty... :D
Anywayz, ppl like that suck & idk what ur using, 3ghz w/ any AMD cpu is fan-fukking-tastic....despite the cooling or w/e...man ur the one's that's too [H]. BTW, I have a mobile 2400:
AX442400 FQQ4CT818776
IQZFA 0347XPMW
So far I can hit 2.7w/ the W3@p0n multiRoom h20 (the pump, res and rad are out in my garage/ party room where it's a few degrees cooler than outside). Unfortunately it's not been so cool here as of late..... Still 2.7 isn't what I would call stable....need to grab my bh-5 Kingston HyperX 3000 back from my wife, lose the ch-5 Buffalo & do the VDimm Mod to my 8rda+---or just buy an Infinity... Anywayz, I for one say 'gratz on the oc man, that rawks... ;)

Back