Is there such thing as too [H]?

Spewn

2[H]4U
I got my vantec iceberq kit in the mail, to replace the failing fan on my gf's gf2 mx card(causing the card to overheat LOTS), and it also came with two small heatsinks, one for the northbridge and one for the southbridge. Northbridge already had a heatsink, but I popped the SB heatsink onto my southbridge. Then I had a somewhat small copper heatsink and nothing to do with it...and I remembered "hey, the chip on my SBLive gets pretty hot", so guess where I put it! Is that going over the top? I mean, it's better than wasting it right? :p

Originally posted by xdviper
yeah whynot, go ahead and try. you probably need thermal paste too.

Oh, it's already on there. I just used the thermal tape though, as I figure I *may* want to remove it at some point.

Originally posted by TheAcorn
... there is no such thing as 'too [H]'

Too [H]? Is that like when you wake up in the morning and you cannot point down at the toilet?

Although rare, being "too [H]" for more than 4 hours requires immediate medical attention.:D :D :D

One can never be too [H]ard:p

How dare You ask that:eek:

If you've got stuff lyin around ,put it to use MAN!:D

I don't think building a rocketship -- which is overclocked to eleventy jiggahertz BTW -- and flying it to the moon and setting up a Prescott on the dark half of the moon in all its negative hundreds of degrees and overclocking the system to well over what Intel envisioned it to is even too [H].

Of course, a giant laser cutting the [H] into the lit part of the moon would be mandatory.

I suppose you could use the heatsinks for anything, but I'm pretty sure that came with 4 memory heatsinks for the vid card(the one I bought did anyways).

Originally posted by DocFaustus
Too [H]? Is that like when you wake up in the morning and you cannot point down at the toilet?
Yeah, man, I hate that.

Too [H] is getting a 286 and overclocking it to a gigahertz—because the thing's instruction set is too restrictive for there to be any point. Maybe?

Originally posted by TheAcorn
... there is no such thing as 'too [H]'

Agreed.

Originally posted by PliotronX
I don't think building a rocketship -- which is overclocked to eleventy jiggahertz BTW -- and flying it to the moon and setting up a Prescott on the dark half of the moon in all its negative hundreds of degrees and overclocking the system to well over what Intel envisioned it to is even too [H].

That wouldn't work very well... vacuum doesn't really transfer heat very well, so the processor would reach insane temperatures and then fry. :rolleyes: :D

Stiletto, that's not even close to being too [H]. ;)

Originally posted by Black Morty Rackham
Agreed.

That wouldn't work very well... vacuum doesn't really transfer heat very well, so the processor would reach insane temperatures and then fry. :rolleyes: :D

Goddamn physics :D There's no room for convection in my fantasy, sir!

Oh yeah? YOU tell me how the heck you're supposed to get a 286 up to a gigahertz. :p I don't even think cryogenic cooling would be enough, because they're too big for clock signals to get around the chips fast enough!

Agreed.

ahhh...but set it up with a good watercooling setup, the bury the copper pipes into the surface of the moon...there you have a surface to surface method of heat transfer...not very good, but at -400 degrees...who cares if it's only 50% efficient?? :p

just don't forget the antifreeze...or hell, you may need something a lot more exotic at that point.

and yes, a large [H] on the lighted side of the moon should be Nasa's next big mission.

Originally posted by Stiletto One
Oh yeah? YOU tell me how the heck you're supposed to get a 286 up to a gigahertz. :p I don't even think cryogenic cooling would be enough, because they're too big for clock signals to get around the chips fast enough!
...using Flouronert and LN2, the guys at this site got their Celery 366 up to 695.....not quite a gig, but not bad....:D

B.B.S.

You can be indeed too [H], it just takes some seriously cool and...well perverted thoughts....

too [H] is what will happen if we ever find out if Heidi Klum has a [H] tattoo in a "provocative" location :p

Originally posted by mustang_steve
You can be indeed too [H], it just takes some seriously cool and...well perverted thoughts....

too [H] is what will happen if we ever find out if Heidi Klum has a [H] tattoo in a "provocative" location :p

I think you are confusing too [H] with too [H]OT!:eek:

too [H] would be when you realize your piss is great at tranfering heat, and you there all day drinking water and pissing throu a hose that goes to your cpu waterblock, while holding a can of compressed air upside down blowing it on the cpu waterblock and the vid card gpu and the same time, at this point, you realize you can't do anythin since all the good parts of your body are in use to cool down your comp

Originally posted by kllrnohj
too [H] would be when you realize your piss is great at tranfering heat, and you there all day drinking water and pissing throu a hose that goes to your cpu waterblock, while holding a can of compressed air upside down blowing it on the cpu waterblock and the vid card gpu and the same time, at this point, you realize you can't do anythin since all the good parts of your body are in use to cool down your comp

not sure if that would be too [H] or just too damn dedicated...

problem is, i dont see this forum being [H] at all anymore..

people saying an overclock isn't impressive just because of the cooling used?

sorry, i am holding a grudge against some people here, just because of that^^

Originally posted by Stang Man

yeah, does pretty much suck when you get ripped on because the machine in your sig doesn't live up to their standards.

everyone says you're not cool unless you watercool...and the only way I'll be watercooling my cpu in the near future is if the Mississippi river floods like it did in '93:rolleyes:

I know what you are referring to Stang Man, and I completely agree with you. When more [H]ardcore overclocks are shit on because of the extreme measures taken to accomplish them, that is definately the sign of people getting {s}oft.

This is the Overclocking and Cooling section in the forums of [H]ard | Overclockers Comparison Page. Seems some people forget that.

Originally posted by diredesire
to be honest, heatsinking random stuff ain't that [H] ;D

i put my stock p4 heat sink on my hard drive...am i [H]?
lol j/p

Originally posted by DocFaustus
I know what you are referring to Stang Man, and I completely agree with you. When more [H]ardcore overclocks are shit on because of the extreme measures taken to accomplish them, that is definately the sign of people getting {s}oft.

This is the Overclocking and Cooling section in the forums of [H]ard | Overclockers Comparison Page. Seems some people forget that.

thank you, and it's nice to hear there are people around on this board that believe in the same thing :)

Yah being too [H]ard is to turn Brianna Banks down for a "date" to mod your computer for 2x 92mm intake and 2x92mm exhaust tornados

Then you know your obsessed also

OIne cannot be too [H]. Period.

Hell, I've got a leftover Ramsink on teh Audigy... brought me a 7° C drop in temps, too *lol*

i haven't had this happen to me at all, in fact, currently i have nothing but praises for this forum (oh wait, search is STILL down.......) and i am only overclocking with a SK-7 + tornado, only cost $35, no where near extreme.....but then, my overclock is pretty bad, oh well

i haven't had this happen to me at all, in fact, currently i have nothing but praises for this forum (oh wait, search is STILL down.......) and i am only overclocking with a SK-7 + tornado, only cost $35, no where near extreme.....but then, my overclock is pretty bad, oh well

I've had it happen. I've got a 800mhz oc on air for my 2.4b, and a 130/145mhz oc for the vid card...also on air. not anything fancy either, vantec aeroflow for cpu, stock hsf on vid card.

but since it's "just" air cooling, it's not good enough for some people.

Originally posted by Stiletto One

Die shrink... but one would need to have [[H]] (extra hard) cash to afford that. :p

Originally posted by nst6563
I've had it happen. I've got a 800mhz oc on air for my 2.4b, and a 130/145mhz oc for the vid card...also on air. not anything fancy either, vantec aeroflow for cpu, stock hsf on vid card.

but since it's "just" air cooling, it's not good enough for some people.

and those are the kind of ppl you just say, fine, if you want me to go water, why don't you order me a kit for my birthday, NOW WILL YOU SHUT UP?

and if that doesn't work, just ignore them

Well, what most are talking about is a different scenario. It would be like you complaining someone's OC is crap because I'm on water and it's better than your cooling. And to the others that say they have had nothing but praise for their air OC's.... yeah... thats ok with some of the immature people we are talking about, because its not better than there stuff.

Hate to use the old analogy but OC'ing is easily compared to cars. Some mods are essentially "hot-rodding" your PC. You have to be skilled to hot rod.

Benchmarking is the race. Yes dale earnhart jr has a better car than you and has an unfair advantage. He's still a better driver dammit!

"I could do that".... Probably not. I know the post stang is talking about. No one even asked much about the setup other than to say " I can do that with that stuff." I know stang's system is vdimm modded and half the people writing that shit are probably no doubt afraid of soldering guns... No one cares about that.

All the morons that even hint something like "Its just fsb and mult, volts, this and that, not rocket science"... proves their retardation. Driving is easy but theres different leagues. I bet a monkey could do it, but I can do it better, and nascar drivers are a lot better than me. This place is getting and this is proof..... I heatsinked a chip, you use a prometia thats not fair.. boo hoo

Essentially there are two scenarios... people criticizing air folks for not being there version of [H] - I guess - I dont see that too often, and those jealous of people doing more. Both methods of making themselves feel more important.

Of course this is a generaliztion, but the different sentiments all equal the same thing. Let me get this straight.... If someone is new or whatever there probably too soft for the [H]orde.... They're not worthy right? If they have an OC or equipment thats too nice, they're too advantaged. A lot of these people dont want to be good overclockers on there own. They need other people to bag on. Don't you remember the fool in school that always had an excuse maybe even as lame as "I wasnt really trying..." Lol.. tarts.

Originally posted by texuspete00
Well, what most are talking about is a different scenario. It would be like you complaining someone's OC is crap because I'm on water and it's better than your cooling. And to the others that say they have had nothing but praise for their air OC's.... yeah... thats ok with some of the immature people we are talking about, because its not better than there stuff.

Hate to use the old analogy but OC'ing is easily compared to cars. Some mods are essentially "hot-rodding" your PC. You have to be skilled to hot rod.

Benchmarking is the race. Yes dale earnhart jr has a better car than you and has an unfair advantage. He's still a better driver dammit!

"I could do that".... Probably not. I know the post stang is talking about. No one even asked much about the setup other than to say " I can do that with that stuff." I know stang's system is vdimm modded and half the people writing that shit are probably no doubt afraid of soldering guns... No one cares about that.

All the morons that even hint something like "Its just fsb and mult, volts, this and that, not rocket science"... proves their retardation. Driving is easy but theres different leagues. I bet a monkey could do it, but I can do it better, and nascar drivers are a lot better than me. This place is getting and this is proof..... I heatsinked a chip, you use a prometia thats not fair.. boo hoo

Essentially there are two scenarios... people criticizing air folks for not being there version of [H] - I guess - I dont see that too often, and those jealous of people doing more. Both methods of making themselves feel more important.

Of course this is a generaliztion, but the different sentiments all equal the same thing. Let me get this straight.... If someone is new or whatever there probably too soft for the [H]orde.... They're not worthy right? If they have an OC or equipment thats too nice, they're too advantaged. A lot of these people dont want to be good overclockers on there own. They need other people to bag on. Don't you remember the fool in school that always had an excuse maybe even as lame as "I wasnt really trying..." Lol.. tarts.

since im really lazy, do you think you could summerize that?

lol, im j/k

but ya, i do kinda agree with that - im just saying, i haven't really seen that alot, but then, i haven't been here too long

Originally posted by texuspete00

BTW best post EVAR...now about the quotes

best analogy ever too. Thats exactly what I've been trying to say in that thread...for example...(this is hypopthetical, dont know if hes modded it but you get the point) Stang has a prommie..you cry cause his cooling is expensive. But you fail to see that if you had a prommie, you couldn't touch him...why do people not realize this? Because they are too dumb to know what r404a modded means...lets see, lets say he had a r404a prommie, 226w pelt on NB, r404a machII on gpu, vdimm mod, vgpu mod, vmem mod, vcore stabilization mod, vddt mod, vref mod, etc...

People who don't know what each + every mod I just osted is shouldn't say they could do wat stang/xtreme people can do if they had the money. Because quite simply, they can't.
I'm certainly not afraid of the soldering iron (see sig) but I agree with you entirely.

Originally posted by computerpro3
BTW best post EVAR...now about the quotes

best analogy ever too. Thats exactly what I've been trying to say in that thread...for example...(this is hypopthetical, dont know if hes modded it but you get the point) Stang has a prommie..you cry cause his cooling is expensive. But you fail to see that if you had a prommie, you couldn't touch him...why do people not realize this? Because they are too dumb to know what r404a modded means...lets see, lets say he had a r404a prommie, 226w pelt on NB, r404a machII on gpu, vdimm mod, vgpu mod, vmem mod, vcore stabilization mod, vddt mod, vref mod, etc...

People who don't know what each + every mod I just osted is shouldn't say they could do wat stang/xtreme people can do if they had the money. Because quite simply, they can't.
I'm certainly not afraid of the soldering iron (see sig) but I agree with you entirely.

but then they're are some ppl who DO know what those mods are (i know several of those), but just can't afford anything other than air (i had to beg from my dad for a loan just to get this SK-7+tornado)

now im not saying im great, just that with some water or something i would be doing much better than i am now

but then they're are some ppl who DO know what those mods are (i know several of those), but just can't afford anything other than air (i had to beg from my dad for a loan just to get this SK-7+tornado)

now im not saying im great, just that with some water or something i would be doing much better than i am now

Your financial ability, or lack thereof, has no relevence on the accomplishments of the people that do have the necessasary funds. Moreso, people like Stang do this for the thrill and challenge. It does not mean they are made of money, only that this is where they choose to divert thier extra funds. This is our hobby.

To turn snob because you lack the resources, funds, or skills needed to get to the very cutting edge is simply a petty additude.

You may be able to take up the argument that it is not cost effective. And given the right guidelines (bang for the buck), you would be correct. However, the best of the best is never for the thrifty shopper. Bang for the buck is useful for finding what fits your personal needs and budget.

Disclaimer: the use of the words "you" and "your" in the above post were not directed at any specific person. They were used for simplicity of writing, so take no offence.

Back