Is there such as thing as...?

Langford

[H]ard|Gawd
This might sound like an odd thing, but I'm feeling inventive, and I wondered if maybe one existed already. Basically I want a flashlight mount that could hook into the threaded tripod spot on the bottom of my camera. It doesn't have to be especially bright, just bright enough that I could see and focus on the thing I was about to try to take a picture of. I've use a flashlight for such a thing at night before with good enough results, but since I am not an octopus, I had to have a second person around to light the spot I was about to get a shot of.

How far away is the object? You could always get a flash that has a focus assist and have the flash turned off. Any flash that has this option is expensive but it also gives you a great flash.

Duct Tape.

But seriously, yeah, you could get a high-end flash to do this, or you'll have to get creative. I've never seen a flashlight with tripod-mount threads on it, but it couldn’t be all that hard to make one. You'll have to cannibalize an old tripod or find a really cheap head to pull the screw out of, drill hole in flashlight, and screw it onto camera.

I'd personally go with a focus-assist capable flash though, as otherwise you'll be getting bits of that flash-light beam in your photos.

Oh, another thing you might want to consider: headlamps are completely awesome! Not sure if you're using your viewfinder during this process, or if you have an lcd on the back of camera so it's not right against your face; but headlamps can be a real life-saver when hands-free portable light is needed. The Petzl Zipka is my favorite because of the ultra-compact retractable head-band - can never have too many of these things around.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Also, most camera have a focus assist lamp. What camera are you using and how far away are your subjects?

I don't need this device to be bright enough to light the subject photographically, my flash actually does fine for that. I'm simply starting a pitch black dark environment and want my hands free from holding the flashlight. It's just pictures of bugs and toads and things at night.

I'm not really a fan of head lamps, or hats for that matter.

I still think a flash with focal assist would do the trick better than what you are trying. I guess your camera has to have a hotshoe though.

Back