Is there such a thing as a Cell Signal Booster ?

kingdom9214

Limp Gawd
Well we just moved out from the country to farther out in the country so my bad phone service only got worse, I get one bar two in some places but inside I only get service in some places, this is a problem we have Verizon so its kind of frustrating getting texts 3 hours after they were sent and having to go outside to make a call.

I was wondering if there was a device like a wifi booster but for cell service. Like a reciever with a big antenna that picks up signal better then our phones and then boosts it. So i can at least text and make call, I don't need to get on the internet, only make calls and text. I would prefer not to spend more then $200-300. Well I did some Google searches but only found $1000-10000 commercial ones. If you guys know of any devices that do this, i would love to here about them Thanks !

Oh ya by the way I have a iPhone4 and my girlfriend has a Driod X, if that matters =P

Their called microcells, atleast the Att version is called that. It uses your broadband connection and gives you full signal in the house. I'm sure if you bitch enough theyll give you one for free. ATT was giving them for free to new subscribers in my area(there was no 3G at the time).

Beware though you'll need atleast a 1.5mb connection, call quality was horrible on my 768kbps DSL line.

EDIT: here's the verizon version

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/New-Verizon-Femtocell-Service-Is-A-Bad-Joke-100473

What you are describing is a Bi-Directional Amplifier or a BDA for short.

They certainly exist but are pricey and really aren't meant for amateur use.

No chance on a lucky day in hell you can do it for anywhere near 200. Call your carrier and ask for the microcell.

Google Voice might be a good fit for you. You can receive texts via data, so your home wifi will let you send/receive texts to your hearts content. If you have a landline phone, then there is no need to have cell service in your house as you can have your home phone ring as well. The hassle there is that you would have a new phone # you'd have to give out (but it's worth it imo)

it is called a femtocell, it can be very tricky as i know AT&T and Verizon femtocells will require a GPS signal in order to work, they will not work outside their coverage areas. So is kind of like oxymoron because these units need to stay near a window to get the GPS signal but then they won't work out of the coverage area :D you get the idea here.
I would advise you use tmobile because they have wifi calling and works pretty much anywhere in the world.

it is called a femtocell, it can be very tricky as i know AT&T and Verizon femtocells will require a GPS signal in order to work, they will not work outside their coverage areas. So is kind of like oxymoron because these units need to stay near a window to get the GPS signal but then they won't work out of the coverage area :D you get the idea here.
I would advise you use tmobile because they have wifi calling and works pretty much anywhere in the world.

They operate on licensed frequencies hence they have to remain in areas that the carrier is lecensed to operate on those frequencies.

And yes tmobile works great until you leave your house.

Send me your 7 bucks and I'll send you the entire roll of scotch tape that came from.

It'll work just a well.

Don't send it to this guy! Send it to me. I have a magic paper clip and duct tape. It will hook you up amigo!

I don't know whether this product is available for you guys but in Australia we have a product called HomeZone (or something equally silly) which plugs into your internet and broadcasts a mobile signal. It allows up to 10 mobile devices to connect to it, then tunnels the phone signals to the carrier over your internet.

Claims full bars of signal for up to 30m from the devices, dropping off thereafter. The device itself is made by Alcatel-Lucent and is sold by local mobile carriers.

We pay $5/month for ours and it gives the owner free calls through the device to anyone.

I don't know whether this product is available for you guys but in Australia we have a product called HomeZone (or something equally silly) which plugs into your internet and broadcasts a mobile signal. It allows up to 10 mobile devices to connect to it, then tunnels the phone signals to the carrier over your internet.

Claims full bars of signal for up to 30m from the devices, dropping off thereafter. The device itself is made by Alcatel-Lucent and is sold by local mobile carriers.

We pay $5/month for ours and it gives the owner free calls through the device to anyone.

That's a femtocell device just like the ones mentioned above. It's literally a low power mini cell site that uses your intertubes as the backhaul.

Lol thanks for the responses I'm going to go into verizon today and see if they have a "microcell"

I'll keep you guys posted

Back