Is there such a thing as a 5.1 (3 3.5mm plugs) audio switch?

montezuma

Weaksauce
I would like to put my Xbox 360 and my PC through my Logitech X-530 speakers without having to constantly switch cables. I've tried complex splitter setups but that always ends up in the 360 audio getting boned to really low volume and the PC losing surround, along with other problems. Instead, I'd like to put them both into a switch and be able to change between them that way. I haven't been able to find anything like this, though, and I lack the expertise (or interest really) to make my own. Are there any solutions to this?

not exactly what you want - but, get some extension cables and that'll make it easier to switch between.

I have an idea.

Get a sound card with an optical input! EX: Audigy w/ drive unit should be under $30 used.

This has multiple benefits:

1: Xbox 360 will now have legit 5.1 sound instead of 2 channel all around you, because the Logitech's do not have a Dolby Digital decoder.
2. PC will have 5.1 all the time.
3. You can record Xbox audio (Dunno if you want to, but you can)

Mind you, using this method the PC has to stay on.

Hm, that sounds like a decent solution. I'll remember it for when I get fed up enough with this situation to spend money on it. Thanks!

I ran into a similar issue a few months ago, and actually tried what 450 suggested. It works, but if you plan to rely on the Audigy to do Dolby Digital decoding note that it does (at least in my experience) add a noticeable and distracting lag to the audio signal. A stereo signal should pass through just fine, but then you probably don't need the Audigy for that.

I couldn't find a suitable 3.5mm switchbox anywhere online. I ended up building my own for about $60 in parts and it works great. Inputs are 3x3.5mm and 6xRCA (easily could have been another 3x3.5mm jacks, but I saved using adapters in this case) to 3x3.5mm outputs.

IMG_0322.JPG

I've seen similar user-built boxes online that use more switches (with fewer poles each), and have also heard that people wire connectors and use an analog VGA switch box or parallel printer switchbox to do one-button switching. If you have any soldering experience none of these projects are terribly difficult. All you're doing is making and breaking contacts between 9 sets of wires (left, right, and ground channel for each of the 3 wires).

Back