Is There Going to be Nvidia H264 Encoding Acceleration like ATI Avivo?

flydef

n00b
Is There Going to be Nvidia Software for H264 Encoding Acceleration like ATI Avivo?

Just wondering if Nvidia has an equivalent H264 video encoding accelleration program planned like ATI's Avivo software. This is kind of important to me since I'm in the middle of a X1800 / 7800GT decision right now.
Thanks for any info.

Nvidia has had purevideo for quite sometime...WAY before ati had there avivo...so yes nVidia supports it...

Pure Video looks like it is decode only. ATI's software will assist with transcode or encode of H264 Video, which takes a ton of processing to encode.

Not really worried about decode, just encode.
Encode acceleration of H264 seems like a very important feature considering it will most likely be the new standard for video encoding.

I haven't seen anything yet to indicate that Nvidia PureVideo will accelerate encoding of H264.

tornadotsunamilife said:
Technically they both support it but I don't think either have implemented it into drivers yet
It was in the NVIDIA nForce drivers since 80.40

Now we just need a good player and some actual videos to play.

It was in the NVIDIA nForce drivers since 80.40

Is it really in there? Ive seen no difference in any of the 80 series drivers at h264 decoding, although ive only used media player/windvd/nvdvd etc to try it on. I recently encoded a sony hi-def sample movie, using h264 and my cpu is just too slow to play it A64 3500+, my gpu is a 7800gtx

Running the hidef movie in its native TS fileformat i get 30fps+ and the purevideo decoder appears in my sys tray to indicate its working.

Running the hidef movie in mpg (mp4 but in a mpg container) file through mainconcept h264 encoder, the movie plays at about 5-8fps. Running the movie in a mp4 format (in a mp4 container) encoded with nero reencode, also gives the same abysmal performance. Indicating that the hardware assist .........isnt assisting?

Ive tried several nvidia drivers from 80.40 - 81.89 in the vain hope that they would include it, and so far........nothing :(.

Those are kinda scary results with Nvidia hardware. Because I'm thinking about getting a Sony HDR-HC1 HDV and will probably do alot of encoding to h264 and of course playback. Looks like ATI is the way to go if you are into HD video editing and encoding.

flydef said:
Those are kinda scary results with Nvidia hardware. Because I'm thinking about getting a Sony HDR-HC1 HDV and will probably do alot of encoding to h264 and of course playback. Looks like ATI is the way to go if you are into HD video editing and encoding.

But nvidia is the way to go if you want quality playback.

Kinda on topic - Is there any way to use Purevideo or another application to encode like the X1000 cards can (or will)?

Funny, I didn't even know that ATI had implimented the H.264 decode into their drivers yet? :)

Terracide - I smell a troll-post...

Guys, NEITHER NVidia nor ATI currently support full H.264 encoding or decoding in hardware! All either can do is a small piece of H.264 decode, deblocking, motion compensation and inverse transform. These are MINOR pieces compared to full H.264 decode, never mind encode.

Avivo, PureVideo, these are marketing terms that mean nothing, really, so be careful throwing them around..

Back