Is there ever going to be a program as good as riva tuner ever again?

hedron

Limp Gawd
Maybe I've been out of the loop for a while, but just checking google the last version of Rivatuner was 2.24 which was released ten years ago or so.

Anyway, my 260GTX just bit the dust and I'm 100% convinced it's because at some point rivatuner just wouldn't work with nvidia's drivers anymore. I tried numerous alternative programs like MSI Afterburner(it was an MSI card) and a few others, but they all sucked. They all had uselessly stupid flashy/showy interfaces, but lacked proper functionality. The default settings were only minimumly effective and they needed a little adjustment. Adjustments I couldn't make with the drivers alone or with any other program besides Rivatuner.

Although, it's quite interesting running Win7 on a 5200FX chip. I don't know whether I installed the drivers wrong or whether it's just not compatible, but it has to refresh every movement even Windows Explorer. I don't understand how I could actually use this card for actual gaming. I used to play RtCW with it. Anyway....

So, is there any program out there that matches the usefulness and functionality of Rivatuner? All anyone would really have to do would be to adjust compatibility.

what kind of functionality you didn't find in MSI afterburner?.. what driver version are you using with those cards?.

what kind of functionality you didn't find in MSI afterburner?.. what driver version are you using with those cards?.

Primarily, it wouldn't adjust the fan speed properly. It was just a flashy interface with no substance. And I used multiple driver version.

just the fans?.. almost every app out there will manage the fans properly.. I use MSI Afterburner in multiple machines and EVGA precision X (the old version with RTSS)..

the fan curve utility in afterburner is actually great....

msi_zps0588935f.jpg

I seconditions the fan curve in Afterburner .. works great for my 290's. Keeps them cool and quiet till they get over 75c.

Speaking of, ATI Tray Tools was one of the best applications ever made. Really wish we had that kind of functionality in a tiny package again.

I thought he was trying to force settings in games. Not just do fan profiles. That is why I suggested the app in my previous post. The newer Nvidia cards really don't need a fan profile. I guess it would be if you are doing some crazy overclocking with a custom bios. The 280-290 series ATI does get pretty warm though. But it is getting cold and a free heater is a good thing.

Maybe I've been out of the loop for a while, but just checking google the last version of Rivatuner was 2.24 which was released ten years ago or so.

Anyway, my 260GTX just bit the dust and I'm 100% convinced it's because at some point rivatuner just wouldn't work with nvidia's drivers anymore. I tried numerous alternative programs like MSI Afterburner(it was an MSI card) and a few others, but they all sucked. They all had uselessly stupid flashy/showy interfaces, but lacked proper functionality. The default settings were only minimumly effective and they needed a little adjustment. Adjustments I couldn't make with the drivers alone or with any other program besides Rivatuner.

Although, it's quite interesting running Win7 on a 5200FX chip. I don't know whether I installed the drivers wrong or whether it's just not compatible, but it has to refresh every movement even Windows Explorer. I don't understand how I could actually use this card for actual gaming. I used to play RtCW with it. Anyway....

So, is there any program out there that matches the usefulness and functionality of Rivatuner? All anyone would really have to do would be to adjust compatibility.

I actually have found myself preferring MSI Afterburner more than I used to enjoy Rivatuner. I would give it a try if you haven't.

Well Afterburner is the new Rivatuner as its built by and updated by the guy that did Rivatuner. I don't see what could possibly be missing in Afterburner. It's easily the best GPU utility out there. The fan profile feature is superb and you can dial it in in 1% by 1C increments. It will monitor everything you can think of including CPU core temps and RAM usage. The UI has several settings and skins to try out if you don't like the stock one. Hard to believe a utility that good, polished, customizable and functional is free.

Anyway, my 260GTX just bit the dust and I'm 100% convinced it's because at some point rivatuner just wouldn't work with nvidia's drivers anymore.

Your convinced a card that had fairly high failure rates and lasting as long as it, died because you couldn't get riva uner to work with modern drivers? for real? The dev who made that app doesn't work for free, and like was mentioned he made several newer apps like msi afterburner and evga precesion to take its place and btw are much improved from riva tuner.
If you cards out of warranty either buy a new one or try the bake method to get it going again. the 260 probably just needs a soldier re flow to get it going again. It worked on dead 280 i got for free years ago about to go in the trash.

Well Afterburner is the new Rivatuner as its built by and updated by the guy that did Rivatuner. I don't see what could possibly be missing in Afterburner. It's easily the best GPU utility out there. The fan profile feature is superb and you can dial it in in 1% by 1C increments. It will monitor everything you can think of including CPU core temps and RAM usage. The UI has several settings and skins to try out if you don't like the stock one. Hard to believe a utility that good, polished, customizable and functional is free.

This, they're both made by unwinder. He happens to get paid (or atleast I'd assume he would) for afterburner now, so I wouldn't expect rivatuner to get updated ever again. Afterburner contains a lot of the same options rivatuner did, aside from some of the crazy hardcore advanced options (unless those are being kept hidden from me). The difference is one has a green skin, it's not a big deal imo. I'm just glad it still exists in some form.

Your convinced a card that had fairly high failure rates and lasting as long as it, died because you couldn't get riva uner to work with modern drivers? for real? The dev who made that app doesn't work for free, and like was mentioned he made several newer apps like msi afterburner and evga precesion to take its place and btw are much improved from riva tuner.
If you cards out of warranty either buy a new one or try the bake method to get it going again. the 260 probably just needs a soldier re flow to get it going again. It worked on dead 280 i got for free years ago about to go in the trash.

The cards built-in fan profile was set too low and was inadequate for gaming. I would be an hour into a session and the fan was still on low. Which is probably why it had a high failure rate. It had never buckled until I stopped using riva tuner.

I tried afterburner, but for some reason it just would not load along with windows no matter what I did, and I had a few other minor issues with it. I had only used it a few years ago, so maybe he got those bugs out of it since.

Thanks for the burn method. I had bought a new card, but it's a dud. So, I'll try that.

I'll second MSI Afterburner. Or triple it. It has been an adequate replacement but doesn't seem to be as versatile as Rivatuner was. Still, it'll do what you want it to do without too much fuss.

There are countless programs that work better than Rivatuner.

I use EVGA Precision X and it adjusts fans fine.
Same with MSI Afterburner.

For game level profiles and basic overclocking there is also nvinspector.

GPU-Z gives ASIC quality and temperature monitoring if you want those in a relatively light and unintrusive app.

Rivatuner was good for its time. World has moved on.

Well, the oven method got rid of the graphical glitches, but I keep getting, "Nvidia Installer Failed" everytime I try to install the drivers and I've tried everything that google had to offer, so the card is good and dead afaik.

I used riva tuner back in the day, using afterburner today. I don't feel underserved by it at all. I found the custom fan curves very functional.

RivaTuner will always get my vote for making my $300 6800 Vanilla a $400 6800 GT.

Back