Is there benefit to non-SLI 2nd video card?

Rangoon12

n00b
In Windows 10, is there a benefit from running a multi-monitor setup on two cards but not in SLI? I guess what I mean is do Windows and NVIDIA know how to efficiently make use of both video cards or does it have hiccups like SLI does where it may be a bit of trouble along with the performance boost (stuttering, compatibility issues, etc.)?

I'm considering purchasing a 1080Ti but keeping the 980Ti that's in there. I am currently running 4 displays of mixed resolutions on the 980Ti. If I go with the second card, will I see benefit for example if I run the Ultrawide on the 1080Ti and the other three on the 2nd card? So a game could be running in full-screen mode on the Ultrawide, while other windows are open on the others. Will there be any benefit in this scenario since the main card is dedicated to the single display? Or not really?

No

No advantage unless the specific game makes use of DX12s capability to do use both cards. To my knowledge, no game does yet.

Other than perhaps using it as a dedicated physix card (that is unnecessary) or wanting 8 monitors.

Back