Is There Anything That Can't be Built of Lego Bricks?

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Bre Burns over at The Brothers Brick has come up with a nice pinball machine that she built out of 15,000 Lego bricks. It's called Benny's Spaceship Adventure and it took her several months to design and build the machine. It uses all Lego equipment even down to the rubber bands and balls. This is really cool and I can't wait to see other Lego creations like this one since I was a big Lego fan back in the day. Lego is really getting technical now. Check out her video.

Watch the video here.

And what did Bre learn from this marriage of System, Technic, and Mindstorms? “Combining these elements is easier than some may think,” she says, “And that really enhances the build. I had only really used System until this point and learned how to incorporate Technic and Mindstorms by teaching myself from scratch. If I could do it, anyone can. It’s meant for kids, after all!”

Legos = Minecraft for those of the older generation......who use their hands to build real stuff out of plastic bricks.

LEGO = Physical Minecraft for all generations. In my experience, most children learn how to manipulate LEGO bricks long before they can play video games, much less Minecraft. My kid (1 year old), my nieces and nephews (range from 2-5) all grew up on LEGO and still play with LEGO; only one niece, who is now 9, actually plays Minecraft and LEGO.

That's nothing compared to:

lego-ship_wide-3459bdd440959fc8544b41967234a0c252700223-s800-c85.jpg

Rule 34!

Anyway... The things you can't build with LEGO are the classic sets from the 80s... Unless you own them. And it sucks.

When I was growing up, we could not afford Legos. Tinker Toys and Lincoln Logs were it. I spent countless hours building and rebuilding with those things.

Here's the real question, what's worse? Stepping on a Lego or a Micro Machine?

The discontinued a bunch of the older special bricks and car building frames.

Luckily, I still have all mine from when I was a kid.

I also look for LEGO stuff when I go thrifting.

Oh, I got you. I thought you were meaning that they weren't compatible. Bricklink.com is your friend

Elaborate?

As Cyclone mentioned, they just don't make many of the parts anymore.

I took a deep dive back into LEGO a few years back as a nostalgic escapist strategy. Call it my midlife crisis.

Anyway, eagerness soon turned to disappointment. The basic problem is not so much the lack of older parts. It's all the new colours. There's a riot of them. So while it sounds cool (and it is), your effective build power is diluted because the same number of bricks gives you less options now because they're now divided among many many more colours.

My Lego collection is huge as a result, and I still can't build the things I want to, unless my creations look like a chameleon in a jar of skittles.

Back