Is there anything I should know?

Az2

Limp Gawd
Is there anything I should know before I take the plunge into linux?
I'm planning to install Redhat 9 on an older PC to dabble with it before eventually making a web server.
So, anything I should know/suggestions?

You should know you'll need patience and that you'll need to do some reading and trial and error to get things to work until you get used to it. I'm biased towards Gentoo and Slackware, but if you wanna start with RedHat and have read people's opinions on distros on this forum, then I can live with that.~ If it's just for web serving, you'll have less to worry about anyway. Good luck, man.

I'm biased towards Gentoo as well...but for a newb with Linux, I'd recommend something a little easier to get up and running, such as RedHat. Then learn and get the feel of Linux.

http://www.tldp.org is a great documentation site. Don't know what all it has on there as far as learning the OS goes, but I'd imagine there's a bit. I know the websites for most distros will have stuff on there as well. And when in doubt, it never hurts to pick up a book.

If you're going with RedHat, why not use Fedora? A lot of negative things have been said about core 2, which requires some hacking to get working properly. However, core 1 works fine, ships with newer and stable software. Another item of consideration is that RH9 has hit EOL and is no longer actively supported. If I were a linux n00bie, I would want the assurance that the distro is being actively supported by the manufacturer.
A good Fedora mirror is kerel.org
http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/

Could someone help me?
I've got RH9 up and running but I'm having major display issues.
Things are really big and don't fit on the monitor and at about the midpoint of the screen there is a split where stuff taken beyond the right side will show up on the left.
I'm using a Trident 9680 PCI video card and a Tandy VGM-470 monitor.
Can anyone help?

You should know how to search. Google will become a close friend.

You should know how to RTFM. There's this handy command, "man," that you should learn and use well.

Don't post questions that can be solved by a few minutes' worth of effort trying to solve your own problem. You'll get on everyone else's nerves, you'll wear out others' willingness to help you and you won't learn much.

Use some sites that are geared towards new Linux users. Subscribe to mailing-lists for security information about your distribution and about the applications you plan on running. Don't be lame and let your machine get hacked because of neglect.

Use your head. Don't give up easily, cause if you do you won't get far.

Learn the CLI. Don't rely on the GUI, cause it's likely that if you ever work in a professional Unix environment you won't always have a GUI...You shouldn't need a GUI for a server.

Some Linux versions (Fedora is the one I'm thinking about) use proprietary tools for configuring common applications. Learn to configure those applications using the default tools if you can. Not everyone uses Fedora or Red Hat.

I could go on for a while, but you probably have the point by now.

Az2 said:
Could someone help me?
I've got RH9 up and running but I'm having major display issues.
Things are really big and don't fit on the monitor and at about the midpoint of the screen there is a split where stuff taken beyond the right side will show up on the left.
I'm using a Trident 9680 PCI video card and a Tandy VGM-470 monitor.
Can anyone help?

Well, did you get asked questions about your video card and monitor while you were installing it? Were you sure of the answers? Anyway, I would log out of KDE, Gnome, whichever you're using, and type "xf86config" on the command line. If you can open a terminal whithin the desktop environment, that would work too, but looks like you might not be able to get around in there.

I'm sure Redhat has plenty of documentation you can go through as well... Can't stress it enough, if you want to learn your way around Linux, you have to read.~ Good luck, man.

Back