Is there any way to use Win7/8 keys for Windows 10?

nilepez

[H]F Junkie
I'm trying to repurpose an old CPU/MB for my parents. It won't take any of my old 7 keys (guess I could try an 8 key).
They way I tried to do it was by doing a clean install.

I know that it was supposed to end last year, but for some reason thought there was still a workaround. Strangely, I installed 10 on this machine in the past, so I kinda expected it to work.

Before anyone says buy a new license, the reason I don't want to do that is because this CPU is an i7-860 and it doesn't look like Intel is going to fix the security issues for those CPUs. Therefore, I'd rather build a new machine for them once Canon Lake is out and probably give them my Skylake build. Just doesn't make sense to buy Win10 and then have to fight MS to move the OS to a new computer.

I have still been able to clean activate OEM keys with Win 10 from 7 with out issue, i literally just do a clean Win 10 install and enter in the Win 7 pro key and tadda, activates...
When was the last time you did that? I wonder if there's something else going on. I did notice that without the key it didn't detect my network (which is odd, because I can look at the LAN port and see the hardware sees a connection. I just assumed that was something MS did if there wasn't a key.

You said you installed Windows 10 on that machine in the past.... if it's the same mobo, it should still work (with no key) as long as it activated the first time.
If you install a different mobo, then to Windows that is a different computer.

Windows licenses are tied to the mobo.

To my knowledge you can still use a Windows 7 key to activate a Windows 10 install.
It's been a few weeks since I tried it though.

ETA: If you are re-installing Windows 10 on a machine where it's already been activated, it must be the same version. Example: Windows 10 Home is activated, you can't install and activate Windows 10 Pro without a new license/key.

I have still been able to clean activate OEM keys with Win 10 from 7 with out issue, i literally just do a clean Win 10 install and enter in the Win 7 pro key and tadda, activates...

In my experience only vendor specific OEM keys (Dell, HP, etc) keys will work. If the key is an OEM key bought over the counter at a retail store it won't work.

When was the last time you did that? I wonder if there's something else going on. I did notice that without the key it didn't detect my network (which is odd, because I can look at the LAN port and see the hardware sees a connection. I just assumed that was something MS did if there wasn't a key.

2 days ago, and yes for me it was Dell OEM keys

2 days ago, and yes for me it was Dell OEM keys
Ah mine are just run of the mill 7 keys...technically they came from Technet, but I also have 2 Windows 8 Keys...I guess I'll try that tomorrow....but I think the lack of Internet may also be an issue (though again I don't know why that's not working, since it works with an old WHS install.

They still work, although I've had trouble re-activating Windows 10 in general. Both times I had to use their remote desktop services to finally get things finished. In both instances they said my keys were valid but they ended up issuing me a new one on the spot.

So you are trying to install Windows 10 from scratch with a Windows 7 or 8 key? Those keys for Home, Pro, Ultimate and what version of 10 are you trying to install?
They still work, although I've had trouble re-activating Windows 10 in general. Both times I had to use their remote desktop services to finally get things finished. In both instances they said my keys were valid but they ended up issuing me a new one on the spot.
Yup, I have endured that a few times myself and a few customers who had to call MS and they had to put more than one person on the issue and they spent easily an hour on the phone while MS would dig through their system and eventually tossed a new key on the system and made sure it would activate. Activation has always been one of those things I really despise about Windows. I know/understand why they have it and if you never have to deal with and issues with it you are lucky.

Install Windows 7 (or 8) with the legitimate key and ensure it shows activated on the main system properties page.

Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, run it, and let it do an IN PLACE UPGRADE from your activated Windows 7 install.

(I usually select 'Keep all files and settings' when prompted, but the clean install option might work as well)

Once the in-place upgrade is complete and you are in Windows 10 with an internet connection, it should be activated and legitimate and the motherboard will have a license tied to it from that point forward. In the future when doing a clean install, choose the 'I don't have a key right now' option during Windows 10 setup and it will activate automatically once installed and connected to the internet.

NOTE: Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate will upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, Windows 7 Home will upgrade to Windows 10 Home.

Now that the free upgrade offers have ended, and the infamous 'accessibility upgrade' has ended, this is the only loophole left to upgrade Windows 7/8 to 10 - legitimately, anyway.

Install Windows 7 (or 8) with the legitimate key and ensure it shows activated on the main system properties page.

Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, run it, and let it do an IN PLACE UPGRADE from your activated Windows 7 install.

(I usually select 'Keep all files and settings' when prompted, but the clean install option might work as well)

Once the in-place upgrade is complete and you are in Windows 10 with an internet connection, it should be activated and legitimate and the motherboard will have a license tied to it from that point forward. In the future when doing a clean install, choose the 'I don't have a key right now' option during Windows 10 setup and it will activate automatically once installed and connected to the internet.

NOTE: Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate will upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, Windows 7 Home will upgrade to Windows 10 Home.

Now that the free upgrade offers have ended, and the infamous 'accessibility upgrade' has ended, this is the only loophole left to upgrade Windows 7/8 to 10 - legitimately, anyway.
Interesting. I thought this was the first one to be closed off (which is why I did a clean install from a DVD). Guess I'll give this another shot. It'd be nice for my folks to use this machine...at least until Intel releases a CPU without spectre/meltdown bugs.

Thanks for the tip (and everyone else that I may not have replied to). Don't know if this will work but it's worth a shot.

Interesting. I thought this was the first one to be closed off (which is why I did a clean install from a DVD). Guess I'll give this another shot. It'd be nice for my folks to use this machine...at least until Intel releases a CPU without spectre/meltdown bugs.

Thanks for the tip (and everyone else that I may not have replied to). Don't know if this will work but it's worth a shot.

Can you confirm if that really works?

Can you confirm if that really works?
I can't. After reading this, I went back to it and it appears that the MB's Ethernet ports died. I'm in the process of moving, but at some point I may toss a Ethernet card in there or a wireless card and see what happens, but given my schedule post move, that probably won't happen till July or August at the earliest.

My guess is that the port died around the time I posted this...I didn't realize it, because when I first started this project the port was working and it never occurred to me that it'd died...or if I did look then the lights were on.

Back