Is there any way to force my E6550 to run at 2.33GHz all the time?

Bona Fide

2[H]4U
Right now it's sitting at 2GHz, and I'm assuming that when I run something intensive it'll crank back up. Is there anyway to just have it going at full speed all the time?

there is a setting in your bios that is a throttling feature you need to turn off. On my board it goes under C1E and EIST and I need to disable them both. These features are meant to save power and have less heat so some leave them on after finish overclocking and testing.

why dont you just download intel thermal analysis tool and see what it says when you put a load on the processor. Hit start next to workload level - 100%.

Turn off speed step, halt states, and similar. It'll then run at the clocks you set all the time. The question is, why would you want to do that? It'll run cooler and not draw as much power if you let it clock down while idle, and it's not like it'll affect performance at all noticeably.

there is a setting in your bios that is a throttling feature you need to turn off. On my board it goes under C1E and EIST and I need to disable them both. These features are meant to save power and have less heat so some leave them on after finish overclocking and testing.

why dont you just download intel thermal analysis tool and see what it says when you put a load on the processor. Hit start next to workload level - 100%.

Turn off speed step, halt states, and similar. It'll then run at the clocks you set all the time. The question is, why would you want to do that? It'll run cooler and not draw as much power if you let it clock down while idle, and it's not like it'll affect performance at all noticeably.

QFT... its not like there's a noticeable dealy when it switches from a low multiplier to a high multiplier. Therefore, I see no reason to turn them off.

QFT... its not like there's a noticeable dealy when it switches from a low multiplier to a high multiplier. Therefore, I see no reason to turn them off.
See, my concern is that it won't clock back up when I actually need it to. For instance, I opened Oblivion to check if it would go back up. I loaded up the game, loaded my save, and then minimized it. I had the ASUS monitor up the whole time, and when I minimized it was at 2000MHz. It wasn't even like it had been at 2330 and then clocked down, because the monitor would have shown that. It was at 2000 the whole time.

See, my concern is that it won't clock back up when I actually need it to. For instance, I opened Oblivion to check if it would go back up. I loaded up the game, loaded my save, and then minimized it. I had the ASUS monitor up the whole time, and when I minimized it was at 2000MHz. It wasn't even like it had been at 2330 and then clocked down, because the monitor would have shown that. It was at 2000 the whole time.

It obviously didn't require a lot of CPU power to do what you did. You could load task manager and view the performance graph while you play, to see if its being used. Trust me, it'll get the power when it needs it.

Oblivion isn't a good cpu usage testing game as it runs very little cpu intensive events, almost everything is prescripted. On the other hand Oblivion should be spiking the hell out of your GPU and graphics memory with the insane graphics package sizes and use of textures.

If you want to get a feel for how the speed stepping works then fire up cpu-z then run prime95 or orthos. You will see the cpu jump to its max stepping almost instantly when you hit the run button.

do something like encode multiple streams of video at the same time and see what happens

I think it takes like less than a picosecond for the processor to change multiples from idle to full mode.

Although there are the "inbetween" power states, and some laptops come with features like throttling when the CPU is being less than 50 percent used (instead of less than one percent used, sort of like what the EIST normally kicks in at)

There is no reason to turn it off really.

I tried turning re-enabling EIST and C1E yesterday after overclocking my E6600 to 3 GHz (1.3 V) but as soon as I played some games online, I noticed lagginess. I will try again tonight with just C1E enabled and see what that does.

If you are noticing slowdowns because of the sleep states - its probably not the CPU.

Make sure you have the latest INF's for your motherboard. A lot of times it will be the network card that does not fully wake up from sleep mode (or a hibernate mode) that can sometimes cause a system drag. Analog modems also seem to have problems waking up from low power mode.

In Device manager your computer should probably be referred to as an "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" If its not, you havent installed the proper software yet, or you may have a singular piece of old hardware that is preventing the computer from properly determining sleep modes.

Very occasionally the USB 2.0 does not wake up properly, and reverts to USB 1.1.

Okay, I only enabled C1E this time, and even though I can see a lower core speed and core voltage in CPU-Z, I have experienced zero performance issues. Funny though, that even when Orthos Dual Core Edition is running a Blend test, the Core Voltage does not immediately jump up to my BIOS setting (1.3 V) but only jumps up by about 0.1 V to 1.256 V. Can anyone comment on this?

Back