Is there any way to change the nVidia shader cache location? What about size?

Nazo

2[H]4U
Sorry if this should have gone on the software side, but it's very nVidia specific.

I've noticed that their shader cache is dumping in my temp folder. The problem is, I've had too much trouble with too many things dumping all sorts of crap in my temp folder and just leaving it there. It really piles up and makes for an incredible mess. So at this point I have something running that clears my temp folder on every startup. I absolutely don't want to get rid of that because developers for some reason still refuse to have a little more consideration on the stuff they leave piling up in there even after all this time. (I've found huge globs of data -- whole installations even -- just left there, forgotten.) Until now it has never mattered. It seems to me a much much cleaner and more elegant solution would be to move the nVidia shader cache to a more sensible location -- it's not really a temp thing anyway (the files themselves may be volatile, but the shader cache as a whole is not.) I've googled around and the closest thing I've ever found was someone talking about moving the entire temp folder (which obviously wouldn't solve this particular problem.) So far I haven't found anything obvious in the registry, but it might be one of those things where you have to manually create a key or something.

And speaking of changing the shader cache, is it possible to set it any larger? I'm sure there is a huge law of diminishing returns on this, but it seems to me like the default size sounds a bit small if one runs a lot of different games. While dedicating several gigabytes to it or something would be pointless, I'm not so certain it wouldn't at least be useful in general to set it a bit larger. Maybe even just another 50% might be at least a tiny bit beneficial. This is a SSD, but I'm not so strapped for storage that I can't give it just a little more to work with. So far I'm not having troubles with it (honestly I only have one game that is so horribly unoptimized with shaders that I have to wait for it to cache before I can play) but I thought I'd at least ask while I was on the subject since it's not going to hurt it to have just a tiny bit more storage for that anyway.

EDIT: To be clear, a symbolic/hard link won't work since it will just get deleted too.

Last edited:
Back