Is there any reason not to buy XF270HU

cokewithvanilla

Weaksauce
Hello, real quick thread. I am about to run to the store and buy six Acer XF270HU. I have read reviews and everything looks positive. At $400 a piece, is there any reason not to buy these?

I need 144Hz, IPS, VESA, 1440p, no glossy panel. USed for work, not gaming.

Why the heck would you buy 144hz monitors for work? Reminds me of a thread on Reddit where a school had purchased like 20 PG278Q monitors for their computer room.

You could buy six 25" 1440p monitors instead for a decent saving if you just want 1440p work monitors with a decent IPS panel. The U2515H is 281$ from Amazon at the moment

The u2515H was on my consideration list. I have six U2414h's currently at work (1080p). They are nice monitors, but honestly they are lagging behind in technology. This is going to be for a home setup with a different purpose. 144hz is on my shortlist, and yes, i have had 144hz monitors before.. i know what to expect and what not to expect.

I am basically asking if anyone knows of any major flaws with this monitor that would lead me not to buy it. Obviously, i am trying to make some financial sense, but at the end of the day, a few hundred dollars isn't going to make a difference

The downsides are:
The 1440p 144hz AHVA panels produced by AUO, used in all of the monitors of this type, have a higher percentage of quality issues like backlight bleed. Buying 6 of these, I would expect more issues than buying 6 Dell monitors.
The XF270HU might not have the best dynamic overdrive while Freesync is enabled (an ever ongoing discussion on overclock.net). Not an issue if you don't game though.

Could you tell me why you want 144hz for work monitors though? I mean, I understand that 144hz is nicer even when dragging windows around, and basically no-compromise if you're just paying 400$ each, especially since affordable ~400$ and below 27" 1440p monitors have not really improved for years while we have been getting nice, affordable 24"/25"/32" 1440p monitors left and right - but still

Ok thats interesting. They were advertised as IPS panels, i gather AHVA isnt the same thing.

144hz, for dragging windows around. Exactly as you say. Charts will move smooth, etc. When getting into that pricepoint, Id rather just 'have it all'

I havent see any 24/25 144hz IPS 1440 monitors... what have i missed? i definitely dont need them this big lol.

As far as the panel lottery, they have 9 of these in stock locally. I can buy all nine and return the three i dont like... im sure.

AHVA is a variant of IPS.

There aren't any 144hz 24"/25" ones. What I meant to say was: there hasn't really been much progress in the 1440p 60hz IPS 27" market price-wise, so you might as well get 144hz if they're 400$.
The 144hz ones might have more issues, but image quality wise all of the monitors with that panel reviewed, regardless of manufacturer, have good image quality.

Here's an infamous video from early 2016: .
Surely AUO panel quality control and monitor manufacturer quality control must have improved by now, but these monitors have always been subject to panel lottery. I hope you get what you need from 6 out of 9, and maybe you do if you only need them for work (mainly well sunlit work hours) - but 6/9 might not be enough with these.

Last edited:
I will have to see. this will be an issue for me if I am staring at 6 monitors that have major bleed. But i guess I wont know until i try, and waiting really isnt an option for oled or something, and likely the price will be significantly higher ( but perhaps bring the older models down). I have 6 IPS monitors at work , all of which have backlight bleed, all of which is unnoticed during normal use.

The S2417DG is a 24" 144hz 1440p monitor but It's a TN panel. I used to have one and at 24" TN is not bad. Only reason I returned it was because of the matte coating.

I just bought six of the acers. Literally couldn't fit any more in the car. When I get home I will put together the pc and test them. Hopefully I'll have luck. The bezels were so narrow that they were almost as small as a 24 sitting next to t with a wider bezel. Encouraging

I have two of em, they're great. Ordered 3 when they were new, kept the best 2. All 3 were acceptable.

Back