Is there any other software besides PowerDVD 7 that can play Blu-Ray/HD DVDs on a PC?

nerr

Limp Gawd
I just got my Blu-Ray/HD DVD drive today and I'm already getting pretty fed up with PowerDVD. It's bloated, takes forever to actually start playing movies (when my specs are far beyond decent), and just isn't clean enough for me to use. Is there any software out there that can play Blu-Ray/HD DVD movies straight off the disc and doesn't work like crap at the same time? Media Player Classic can play them once they're ripped, but I'd really like to be able to just play them off the disc so I can conserve HDD space.

Well, "windvd9 plus blu-ray" will also play it, but i bet its almost as bloated as powerdvd. I haven't used it though.

You could also investigate anydvd hd? which is supposed to disable the copy protection. That might allow you to use a lighterweight player.

I'm using AnyDVD HD, and it does disable copy protection... but no other players can play the discs yet.

And I will try Arcsoft Total Media Theater, thanks.

I've tried both PowerDVD 8 Ultra and WinDVD 9 Plus.

Here is my personal experience with them:

PowerDVD 8
Pros:
* Now supports 7.1 HD audio though it might be downsampling it
* Also supports ATI/Nvidia HW acceleration (since I've got a Pentium 4 POS Edition)
* Supports 1080p/24 output with ATI HW acceleration when at 1920x1080 @ 24Hz.
* Able to change different "modes" (movie, original, bright, vivid) for video appearance

Cons:
* Craps out more often than not when trying to LOAD BD-J heavy discs
* Needed way more patches than WinDVD 9 ever needed since original releases
* Sometimes AACS/BD+ protection goes wacko and not allow loading of the disc.

WinDVD 9
Pros:
* More reliable and able to load BD-J heavy discs all the time (you can see a status bar/icon created from BD disc on screen)
* Also supports ATI/Nvidia HW acceleration (since I've got a Pentium 4 POS Edition)
* Supports up to 6.1 HD sound.

Cons:
* Stuck at original video mode
* Does NOT support 1080p/24 output w/ HW acceleration.
* (Go to Root) Menu button does not work sometimes.
* Sometimes AACS/BD+ protection goes wacko and not allow loading of the disc.

Arcsoft Total Media Theater seems to be widely used

and quick question, does MPC allow you to play the ripped blu ray discs from your hard drive??

and quick question, does MPC allow you to play the ripped blu ray discs from your hard drive??

I don't use MPC. I use Media Center and it works fine. I see no reason why MPC wouldn't work with the proper codecs.

I have yet to run into a problem using PowerDVD 8 Ultra for my blu-ray/hd-dvd playback. I don't use AnyDVD HD either. *knock on wood*

The time it takes to load is not really the fault of the software. The copy protection has to be decoded by your CPU and with current tech it takes some time. Note normal DVDs do not take that long to load. I believe stand alone BD players have a similar issue however I think they have specialized chips for decoding so they are a little bit faster.

i just tried arcsoft and i love it!!! it even adds itself into wmc! thanks guys i can now dump powerdvd.

I have yet to run into a problem using PowerDVD 8 Ultra for my blu-ray/hd-dvd playback. I don't use AnyDVD HD either. *knock on wood*

Have you tried Across the Universe or even more recently.. Batman Begins BD?

Batman Begins craps out after the Warner Home Video and PG-13 rating before the film itself starts on PowerDVD 8. For WinDVD 9, a disc loading icon appears and loads it in 5 seconds.

Anyone tried the Nero Showtime HD-DVD / BD plugin / add-on? I have not found any information anywhere on this plugin. I already own Nero 8 Ultimate - and the additional 30 dollars is a bit easier to swallow than an additional 100.

From Experience yes, with the proper codecs installed

I have Vista Ultimate 32... How are you using MPC? Where did you download it (older O/S?). What other software are you using?

Have you tried Across the Universe or even more recently.. Batman Begins BD?

Batman Begins craps out after the Warner Home Video and PG-13 rating before the film itself starts on PowerDVD 8. For WinDVD 9, a disc loading icon appears and loads it in 5 seconds.

Is there a work around for that for PowerDVD bcuz I was gonna get teh Batman begins Blu-ray Disc tomorrow

Wait, wasn't the whole point of HDCP and the DRM in Vista so that VMC could support playing these titles?

Back