Is there any compelling reason for me to install IE7?

sharkapult

Limp Gawd
I only use IE (6, currently) to do windows updates. At all other times, I use Firefox (except for the occasional page that only works in IE, in which case an IE Tab is opened from firefox).

Now it's showing up as a required update, and although I'm not worried about authentication, as both of my systems are legit, I played around with IE7 before my reformat of my Dell, and was thoroughly unimpressed.

If you don't use IE6 very often, then there's probably not much reason to jump to IE7 at this point. It might be good to get it on there if you are one of those people who are usually helping other people through stuff. I've noticed a growing number of my companies customers are making the switch. might be helpful to know your way around it.

I converted everyone I'd normally have to help to Firefox. my calls dropped dramatically after doing so. I used to have to clean up after them every few months or so, but now some of the worst people have gone a year without getting hit by spyware, just by switching away from IE.

No real point unless you mainly use IE or support it, or are a web developer and want to see how it works with your sites.

I upgraded to IE7 straightaway when it came out, couldn't be happier now that PNG alpha works (but I still use Firefox much more).

IE7 is still ingrained into the operating system, just like IE6 was, so if you want to get future security fixes for Windows, you will be forced to upgrade to IE7. I would say just install IE7 for the sake of the OS, then use Firefox 2.0 to browse.

Langford said:
IE7 is still ingrained into the operating system, just like IE6 was, so if you want to get future security fixes for Windows, you will be forced to upgrade to IE7. I would say just install IE7 for the sake of the OS, then use Firefox 2.0 to browse.

Listen to him, that's really good advice.

Langford said:
Even if that is the case, why not wait until MS forces IE7 on to the user and use IE6 until then?

drizzt81 said:
Even if that is the case, why not wait until MS forces IE7 on to the user and use IE6 until then?
thats what im doing :)

avant browser FTW :)

Updating IE is part of updating Windows. So, if you want to keep windows updated and you don't have a reason to keep IE6, then you should update.

What benefits does it give to Windows in general?

As it is, all I see is a browser I don't use with a very shitty interface. since I know IE's claws are sunk deep into the rest of windows, what will the upgrade give me? I know I'll eventually do it, but...if it didn't look like so much ass, or I actually used IE, I'd do it without hesitation.

Back