Is there any alternative to Apple at this price point?

lopoetve

Extremely [H]
Ok. Laptops. Battery power key (4hrs minimum), so is portability (must be 5.5lbs or less). Structure is nice too (I'm not big on the plastic Dells). Price is important, as is size (smaller the better).

Need:
CDRW
40gb HD
~512mb RAM
Integrated wireless 802.11b, 802.11g preferred.
screen size doesn't matter

Only thing I can find nicely priced is the iBook in this range. The IBM's are at least 1700 similarly configured, the Dells are about 1600, and Sager doesn't have an offering here. Sony is expensive, and I'm not touching HP/Compaq... Seems like I'm left with Apple, aren't I?

im in the same delima i have read a lot of problems with the apple ibooks logic board failing roughly one year after which is after the warranty is over so unless you get the $150 apple care program then youre sol besides that they look nice

i also have been lookign at averatec.com they are small and cheap

the spymac site is whast i have been looking at

Originally posted by Shyne151
I got my IBM R40 for around 1300-1400 off buy.com.

Only found one close there, and it still needs another stick of ram... with that, it would be ~1460. Too much.

My max here is 1300, no more. The iBook is $1245.

Wait until you have $1500 to spend.

$1300 would have gotten you what you want last summer, but prices have gone up by $100 - 200 since. If you're married to $1300 as a go-no go mark, you're probably stuck with a iBook or a no-name.

You're also probably going to be closer to $1400 shipped anyway.

The R40 on buy.com for just under $1400 can be upped to 512 easily (probably comes with 2-128MB SODIMMS, though) for about $81 from Crucial.

Originally posted by PsychoStreak
Wait until you have $1500 to spend.

$1300 would have gotten you what you want last summer, but prices have gone up by $100 - 200 since. If you're married to $1300 as a go-no go mark, you're probably stuck with a iBook or a no-name.

You're also probably going to be closer to $1400 shipped anyway.

The R40 on buy.com for just under $1400 can be upped to 512 easily (probably comes with 2-128MB SODIMMS, though) for about $81 from Crucial.

That won't happen. I'm getting this off of a personal loan from my savings to myself, and 1300 is the DEAD max for the next 8 months.

And, as much as I love IBM, the R40's are dead on the max weight, without an optical... the Apple is half a pound less with it installed.

And I'll be getting the apple locally, so it will only cost me ~$1140, plus more later for a memory upgrade.

I would get a ibm or the apple .. never owned a apple so i would want one of those i own a ibm and they are awsome laptops ..

stay away from dell /hp/compaq

You could do worse. I've got a 12" Powerbook as well as my Sager 5680. I love them both. I sold my 15" Powerbook to finance the 12", and I love its lightness, size, and portability.

Lemme put it this way: My next x86 one, to replace the dell this fall, will be an IBM or a Sager. But this one I want really small, and the IBM is also pretty big.

Back