Is there any AIO solution for AMD's 3960x or 3970x coming?

MattyS22

n00b
I figured Corsair or someone would have put something out by now, but so far all they have done is sold a bracket that lets their existing AOI cooling solutions cover sort-of-most-of the chip....not exactly what I'm looking for. I don't want to do a custom loop at this time, so I was hoping an AIO was rumored to be coming soon...

I would stay away from AIO's for TR4. The best one is the enermax liqtech version but it's got longterm corosion issues and reported pump failures. All the asetek version don't have a cpu block that'll cover CPU die well enough. Not sure about any of the new non asetek TR4 AIO's. You actually might be better off with a Noctua NH-U14 TR4 than an AIO. Personally I run a custom loop for one of my system and a noctua NH9 for my rack. This is also pretty interesting, albiet a little expensive.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do less than a 360mm radiator in an AIO for any Threadripper. Beyond that, the waterblock doesn't look like it would cover a Threadripper CPU fully. It's a more or less square water block, which is precisely what other posts said to avoid and rightly so. I know it technically supports it, but it isn't a good design for Threadripper.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/alp...-cooler-digital-argb-lighting-nickel-plated-c
i take it i can just swap them over? i dont want to over clock it will it still not be good enough.

No, you can't. The second link is for a water block that's designed for a custom cooling loop. The AIO's have a pump / water block combo. If you attached that waterblock to your AIO, you'd take the pump out. Listen, for Threadripper 3960 and 3970's, you will NEED a cooling solution that covers the entire CPU. Period.

There are plenty of people here that would tell you to go that route instead. I wouldn't. I'd go with a custom cooling loop. I mean, if I'm dropping 2K on a board and CPU (or more) then the cost of water cooling shouldn't be a deal breaker. It costs upwards of twice what a good AIO would, but it will cool better and last longer. You will also be able to simply change the water block and adapt it to whatever you do next.

There are plenty of people here that would tell you to go that route instead. I wouldn't. I'd go with a custom cooling loop. I mean, if I'm dropping 2K on a board and CPU (or more) then the cost of water cooling shouldn't be a deal breaker. It costs upwards of twice what a good AIO would, but it will cool better and last longer. You will also be able to simply change the water block and adapt it to whatever you do next.
This.

I understand AIO's have a place, but just not on the threadrippers.
Hell, even with my 1900x and a 2x120 radiator I could experience throttling and heatsoak. First system I ever had that you could feel the water get warm under Prime95 after 20 min. The old 2920 box I sold had two radiators, 1 3x120 and a 2x120.
I don't understand why one would skimp and be ok with lackadaisical cooling and limit the cpu.

This is still [H] country

so is there any water cooling kits i can buy that whould do a better lob, i got about £350 left

While you are shopping for an air cooler I wanted to point out that the Wraithripper is a bit too big. It actually pushes on the top of my MSI RTX 2070 Ventus which is not a huge card. I cant use the USB cable to use the software to control the lighting so I am stuck with the rainbow effect. Not the end of the world, but it's not a good long-term answer. The big Noctua cooler seems to do well.

Seems SOMEBODY should offer a decent Threadripper AIO by now but no. It seems people are either using units that don't cover the entire block or running big air coolers. Or custom loops.
The Enermax apparently cools the best but has horrible failure rate

Fractal Design Celsius S36 Blackout AiO Liquid Cooler

IMO Best review (it's the non-blackout, same specs other than a dark paint theme --- > https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/fractal-design-celsius-s36-review,1.html
Item for sale:
non-blackout version @ $117 --- > https://www.newegg.com/fractal-design-liquid-cooling-system/p/N82E16835352030
newer Blackout version @ $124 --- > https://www.newegg.com/fractal-design-celsius-s36-liquid-cooling-system/p/N82E16835352064
Still no AIO for Threadripper. This model uses a small circular heat transfer plate so it misses the corners of the dies under the heat spreader on a TR. The options are air, a horrible mess of AIO that is prone to failure (Arctic Cooling), or a custom loop. Watch videos on TR water blocks to understand the issue most AIO coolers face. The simply don't cover the dies. This is why a good air cooler can do just as well as most of the AIO.

Back