Is there any advantage to an HDMI input on an LCD?

ZV3001

Limp Gawd
Is there any advantage to an HDMI input on an LCD? Is the resolution better/clearer?
I am using a DVI input LCD but want to upgrade to a 24" LCD, some have HDMI and some don't, what do you think?

Is there any advantage to an HDMI input on an LCD? Is the resolution better/clearer?
I am using a DVI input LCD but want to upgrade to a 24" LCD, some have HDMI and some don't, what do you think?

The resolution is neither better no clearer.
HDMI=DVI+Sound that may be a plus.
HDMI has "disadvantage". Actually it's not a problem of HDMI itself - it depends on how it's implemented in a prticular monitor.
Poor HDMI implementation often leads to image distortion, overscan, cropping when connected to external video source that is HDMI primary purpose.
This is most typical for low end products with a single digital input in the form of HDMI (Hanns-G HG281D).
Even more expensive monitors may experience some issues displaying video over HDMI (Dell 2408, Dell 3008, Samsung 245T, etc.)
If you plan to use HDMI on your future monitor you need to find confirmation that it has no issues before you buy.
Avoid monitors with a single digital input in the form of HDMI.
Presence of several inputs (2xDVI, DVI+HDMI, 2xDVI+HDMI) may give you best chance to have proper video on your screen.

HDMI is good because you can connect your PS3 or Xbox 360 without an additional audio cable.

It's good for the future when more video cards will have HDMI and some will have audio cards built in as well so you only need one cable for both.

And since most people use DVI now, putting the HDMI isn't a big deal since you can just use an adapter. Only VGA people are out of luck.

But if you're talking about just visual quality then no, it's not necessary because DVI is same thing.

I find the HDMI connection to be a little loose.
Also, HDMI does not support 2560*1600 unless the monitor supports HDMI 1.3 (HDMI 1.3 cable must be used).
Of course, you need a dual link DVI to enjoy 2560*1600.

wat

Hdmi does not support x1600 unless it has hdmi 1.3? So I was assuming you meant that it could with hdmi 1.3.

If so, why would you need dual-link dvi?

HDMI is good because you can connect your PS3 or Xbox 360 without an additional audio cable.

It's good for the future when more video cards will have HDMI and some will have audio cards built in as well so you only need one cable for both.

And since most people use DVI now, putting the HDMI isn't a big deal since you can just use an adapter. Only VGA people are out of luck.

But if you're talking about just visual quality then no, it's not necessary because DVI is same thing.

I don't get it. What is a monitor going to do with HDMI audio? Unless the display has a digital line out, I don't want audio anywhere near my monitor.

Back