Is there an end all router with great wireless range?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
I am really in need of one single router that has excellent wireless range.

What do you guys recommend?

I seriously doubt you're ever going to find such a thing but if you're so inclined you'd have to buy several of 'em and test 'em out in your particular setup and see how they work then pick the one that provides the best performance and range I suppose. If you absolutely have to get the best range no router alone is going to do that itself, you're going to need higher gain antennas mounted in high positions compared to where the devices that will be connecting to the router will be stationed, perhaps using some extension cables for the antenna mounts, etc.

Unifi AC Pro + Edgerouter Lite or Edgerouter X if on a budget.

Super reliable, great range, simple.

I have converted a lot of clients to this setup and it solves wireless problems every time.

Unifi AC Pro + Edgerouter Lite or Edgerouter X if on a budget.

Super reliable, great range, simple.

I have converted a lot of clients to this setup and it solves wireless problems every time.

Agree, I've not found a consumer all-in-one wireless router that beats this yet, on any front except ease of setup. Ubiquiti is harder to set up than your standard Netgear or Linksys, but not impossible.

Is there an end all router with great wireless range?

No.

If you want range, you want a separate access point dedicated to just wireless. Without any information and an unlimited budget, I have an obvious solution.

https://meraki.cisco.com/products/wireless/mr84

+

https://meraki.cisco.com/products/wireless/antennas-power#dual-band-sector-antenna-15

That will likely give some of the best range you can get on AC, and have amazing density as well. It will only cost you around $2,000 + licensing fees.

Now if we have an idea of whether you want indoor, outdoor, multi story, concrete walls, apartments, etc then we might be able to help suggest something that will work. Depending upon the layout, it might be flat out impossible to cover an area with just one access point, no matter how much money you have to throw at it. Almost always the devices you are using will be the weak point, and cell phones have terrible wifi reception compared to a laptop, which is poor compared to an add in desktop card, which is poor compared to another AP.

Agree, I've not found a consumer all-in-one wireless router that beats this yet, on any front except ease of setup. Ubiquiti is harder to set up than your standard Netgear or Linksys, but not impossible.

Agree x 2

I do not have to touch my Unifi + ER-X combo.. at all... maybe once in a while to dust it off :D and make it look pretty again

How is the location where the router is going? Single floor? Multiple floors? What square footage are you needing coverage for?

Back