Is there an easy way to swap the data on two drives...

archevilangel

[H]ard|Gawd
if I don't have a spare drive, and the operating system is on one of the drives?

My current situation:
I have vista/a bunch of games/some movies stored on a Seagate 500gb 16mb cache drive
I have some other videos, pictures, music, other documents stored on a Maxtor 500gb 32 mb cache drive
Both have about 350gb used.

My Seagate scores much lower than my Maxtor drive in hdtune and I want to switch for performance reasons. Here are my scores:
HDTune_Benchmark_ST3500630AS.png

HDTune_Benchmark_MAXTOR_STM3500320AS.png

Is this possible/is it worth it?

Create a small partition on the faster drive, then install your operating system on that partition... once you have done that, start moving batches of files and as you are going you can expand your operating system partition.

IMO it's not worth all the work and risks involved.

I think something is wrong with that test. I've never seen a 500GB drive average anywhere close to 88MB/sec.

What other benchmarks can I try?

I'd give hd tach a try...maybe sisoft sandra as well...Another thing is that if you are doing that test on the drive that has the OS, you'll get lower numbers because the OS is using the drive at the same time the test is running. The other drive, uninterrupted by the OS, will get higher numbers unless it's a much slower drive to begin with.

I'd give hd tach a try...maybe sisoft sandra as well...Another thing is that if you are doing that test on the drive that has the OS, you'll get lower numbers because the OS is using the drive at the same time the test is running. The other drive, uninterrupted by the OS, will get higher numbers unless it's a much slower drive to begin with.

Unless he is doing a full virus scan, or converting video, the affect of the OS should be minimal on the scores. In fact, you can actually see the activity dropouts on his graph.

Your Seagate 7200.10 drive is on the charts over at Toms hardware for about the same performance that you are getting. It's just a little older and slower than your new drive.

Personally, if I was you, I would plunk down some cash and buy an external drive to save some of your more important data. Sooner or later one of your hard drives will die. It is almost always the drive with the most vital and impossible to replace data on it.

Don

I think something is wrong with that test. I've never seen a 500GB drive average anywhere close to 88MB/sec.

It's just a hair faster than my 7200.11. It seems reasonable for a 32 mb cache drive.

Don

Back