Is there an app for that? thread

deweatherly

Supreme [H]ardness
I thought this may be a good idea. If you want something from your phone and cant find a good app, chances are someone else knows of one to fit your needs.

Ill go first,

I need an app that allows me to manage Widgets, specifically, i would like to turn then off/on without having to go into setting and Manually do it. the reason being that when my phone is just sitting for hours at a time (while im work) they drain the shit out of my battery.
Phone info:
HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon
Android Market
Not Rooted

Second app
I need an app to completely backup all my apps, contacts, etc. on my computer. im going to be rooting soon and want to backup my data first.
Phone info:
Same as above

Any Suggestions?

1st app:
You're referring to the updating/auto-syncing of the widgets right?
If so, just go to Settings and turn off auto-sync whenever.

Or try Widgetsoid.
You can make a toggle strip widget that can include tons of other toggles too.

I would suggest Titanium Backup for number two. You can back up your apps, system apps, and user data selectively and also sync backups to your dropbox account.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup&feature=search_result

Second this app, I just started using it with DropBox. Quick question though - how do you guys have your backups scheduled, and do you do a full 'backup all user apps + system data' regularly/daily, or do you do something else?

I thought this may be a good idea. If you want something from your phone and cant find a good app, chances are someone else knows of one to fit your needs.

Ill go first,

I need an app that allows me to manage Widgets, specifically, i would like to turn then off/on without having to go into setting and Manually do it. the reason being that when my phone is just sitting for hours at a time (while im work) they drain the shit out of my battery.
Phone info:
HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon
Android Market
Not Rooted

Second app
I need an app to completely backup all my apps, contacts, etc. on my computer. im going to be rooting soon and want to backup my data first.
Phone info:
Same as above

Any Suggestions?

For certain apps you can find an application on the Market that backs up the data. For instance Angry Birds has apps on the Market that can backup the game data without root access. For the most part though you will probably have to part with some of your data since rooting TBolt requires a wipe and Titanium Backup (and the others like it) require root.

For contacts are you not syncing with Google? I wipe my phone (I'm a ROM changing crazy person) probably once a week and never have an issue with my contacts because I just let it sync with Google. Apps do the same (minus the save data).

See if Clockwork Recovery is being worked on for your device. It is a custom recovery that among other things allows you to make a "nandroid" backup which is a complete 1:1 image of your phone. So if you fuck up doing something you simply boot into CWR and tell it to restore the nandeoid backup you made before you tried whatever it was. I have a feeling though this app may require a device with unlocked bootloader like the GalaxyS phones.

See if Clockwork Recovery is being worked on for your device. It is a custom recovery that among other things allows you to make a "nandroid" backup which is a complete 1:1 image of your phone. So if you fuck up doing something you simply boot into CWR and tell it to restore the nandeoid backup you made before you tried whatever it was. I have a feeling though this app may require a device with unlocked bootloader like the GalaxyS phones.

Clockwork is available for the Thunderbolt (in fact to my knowledge it's the only 3rd party recovery so far) but you still end up wiping the phone to get CWM installed during the rooting process. :(

Clockwork is available for the Thunderbolt (in fact to my knowledge it's the only 3rd party recovery so far) but you still end up wiping the phone to get CWM installed during the rooting process. :(

What? CWR can be packaged with a kernel which can be flashed without wiping. If I flash a rom I wipe only if its a major change. I don't wipe every time. At least its not necessary. Some people wipe every time they do anything. I have learned along with others over time you can typically get away with only wiping Dalvik cache and standard cache but not data unless the new rom is built off of different source. For instance going from EA28 Eclair to a ED01 Froyo based rom, yes, you have to wipe everything then. By the way, I don't use Clockwork Mod. Only the recovery which is supplied as an Odin flashable tar package. The two are separable.

What? CWR can be packaged with a kernel which can be flashed without wiping. If I flash a rom I wipe only if its a major change. I don't wipe every time. At least its not necessary. Some people wipe every time they do anything. I have learned along with others over time you can typically get away with only wiping Dalvik cache and standard cache but not data unless the new rom is built off of different source. For instance going from EA28 Eclair to a ED01 Froyo based rom, yes, you have to wipe everything then. By the way, I don't use Clockwork Mod. Only the recovery which is supplied as an Odin flashable tar package. The two are separable.

You need S-OFF to be able to Flash CWR and Custom Kernels on HTC phones. The only way to get S-OFF on the Thunderbolt is flash an older RUU and then replace the signed bootloader with an engineering bootloader. So the phone gets wiped before CWR comes into play. :(

You need S-OFF to be able to Flash CWR and Custom Kernels on HTC phones. The only way to get S-OFF on the Thunderbolt is flash an older RUU and then replace the signed bootloader with an engineering bootloader. So the phone gets wiped before CWR comes into play. :(

Aww nuts...

For the widgets one, can't you just switch scenes which is custom home screens with different widgets? You know, work scene, home scene, weekend, etc.

For the widgets one, can't you just switch scenes which is custom home screens with different widgets? You know, work scene, home scene, weekend, etc.

good idea, im still figuring android out... ill give this a try.

here is a good forum for all your needs for your phone, i use it for my phone, they helped me get it rooted,custom rom's,and got GB on my Galaxy S phone.

just scroll and look for your phone and look for what you need to know. and it will be there.

http://forum.xda-developers.com

There is a really neat app called desktop visualizer (I believe that's right) lets you take any properly sized image and make it into your own custom widget, also allows resizing.

Back