Is there an app for setting custom screen resolution on Win 10?

Bird222

[H]ard|Gawd
I am connecting to a Win 10 machine (actually it's a VM) with tightvnc. I am trying to get the desktop to perfectly fill the vnc app screen without having scroll bars. 1920x1080 comes the closest but it's just a little too tall. I need something like 1920x1000 or 1920x900. Is there a free app that can do this?

You should be able to define the virtual desktop screen when you launch the vnc server. In linux you just start it with "vncserver -geometry 1920x1000 -depth 16 -nolisten tcp"

Unfortunately, this is not on linux. It's on Windows 10. I went to the 'services' area but the optional parameters don't seem to stick in that box.

EDIT: Apparently you can't specify this option in Windows. Great.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this is not on linux. It's on Windows 10. I went to the 'services' area but the optional parameters don't seem to stick in that box.

EDIT: Apparently you can't specify this option in Windows. Great.
Have you tried launching the server from Windows command line? Gui isn't always a good thing you know.

Last edited:
He's using tightvnc and opposite to what he thinks, it can be run from command line.
I'm not saying it can't be run from the command line (I actually tried it) I'm saying the 'geometry' option is not available on the windows version.

ROTFLMFAO the OP asks you what vnc you're using and you telling what he's using. :):):)
Wrong. The OP stated he used tightvnc in his first post, that's why I edited my response as I missed it first. You need to learn to read ROTFLMAO.

I'm not saying it can't be run from the command line (I actually tried it) I'm saying the 'geometry' option is not available on the windows version.
Read the PDF, it's explained there.

-sharerectWIDTHxHEIGHT+LEFT+TOPShares a rectangular region of the desktop with given parameters. If a region overhangs the virtual desktop, the shared area will be limited by the bounds of the virtual desktop.The point (0, 0) is the top left corner of the primary display. Therefore, if a region is placed on the left or above the origin, you need to use negative values.

The windows version of vnc shares your full desktop by default so if you need the vnc window to fit in your remote screen you have to change the desktop resolution of the windows you vnc to.

Wrong. The OP stated he used tightvnc in his first post, that's why I edited my response as I missed it first. You need to learn to read ROTFLMAO.
Bird222 is the OP.

Replying to your Post #6 Bird222 asked:

What vnc are you using?

Your response was, and I quoted it previously, was:

He's using tightvnc and opposite to what he thinks, it can be run from command line.

Up until my Post #9 Bird22 and you were the only two posting so I pointed this out:

ROTFLMFAO the OP asks you what vnc you're using and you telling what he's using. :):):)

You and Bird222 were the only two posting so your using the pronoun "He" indicates you did not know you were talking to the OP, or you would have answered his question and told him what VNC you are using. Now do you understand? :joyful:

Bird222 is the OP.

Replying to your Post #6 Bird222 asked:

Your response was, and I quoted it previously, was:

Up until my Post #9 Bird22 and you were the only two posting so I pointed this out:

You and Bird222 were the only two posting so your using the pronoun "He" indicates you did not know you were talking to the OP, or you would have answered his question and told him what VNC you are using. Now do you understand? :joyful:
No, I was talking about him in third person knowing others read this thread also (and after editing). He stated the type of vnc in his first sentence, which I originally missed:

I am connecting to a Win 10 machine (actually it's a VM) with tightvnc.

Argueing about confusion, in a thread where the OP is confused, is very confusing...

I'll stop ROTFLMAO when you answer Bird222's question as to what vnc you use. To date you have failed to that.
I use several different vnc:s so it would be pointless for me to answer his question. I posted a link to the PDF which gives CLI instructions to the vnc Bird22 users.

bird - im using tightvnc
bird - what are you using?
boonie - he's using tightvnc
boonie - learn to read!

lol
Ok I missed that the OP asked me which vnc I use because the question makes no sense.

Back to my original question. Since the resolution can't be changed in the vnc settings, it there an app out there that can specify custom resolutions to use in Win10 itself?

Back to my original question. Since the resolution can't be changed in the vnc settings, it there an app out there that can specify custom resolutions to use in Win10 itself?
Powerstrip used to be a go to, but I have no idea if it's still maintained.

Why do you need an app to do everything?

There is an option in the VNC Client I'm using (RealVNC Viewer 5.2.3) to scale the display to the window size. This should do what you're wanting. No custom resolution necessary.

There is an option in the VNC Client I'm using (RealVNC Viewer 5.2.3) to scale the display to the window size. This should do what you're wanting. No custom resolution necessary.
Thanks for the suggestion. This works. Now if I could get it to remember to open the window maximized I'd be in business.

Back