Is there an Android equivalent of Cortana ?

tboo

Gawd
I just switched from a Windows phone to Android and one thing right off the bat that I miss is Cortana-especially when connected through my UConnect system in my car. Cortana was listed as a contact and all I had to do was call the contact and ask Cortana to do whatever. She also would read me my texts through blue-tooth in the car and let me reply back with voice texting. It was very simple and handy to use. I cant seem to find out a way to do this on my Android phone. Any help is appreciated

Google Now does many things (and you just say "Ok Google" to activate it)

It won't read your texts alloud, but I'm sure there are other programs that will (or you can enable it system-wide in the accessibility settings)

You seriously have to have Cortana as a contact and then CALL her to use it? That seems profoundly retarded (my opinion, of course)

Google Now does many things (and you just say "Ok Google" to activate it)

It won't read your texts alloud, but I'm sure there are other programs that will (or you can enable it system-wide in the accessibility settings)

You seriously have to have Cortana as a contact and then CALL her to use it? That seems profoundly retarded (my opinion, of course)

On my Uconnect system in my car, the system acts as a proxy between me and the phone. If I want to ask Cortana something, I tell the Uconnect system to call Cortana, I get the listening beep and then ask Cortana a question. This works great if I want to initiate a voice text to someone. Now if someone texts me, then Cortana announces through Uconnect that there is an incoming text and if I want her to read it or ignore it. Once I read it she asks me if I want to reply or if Im done. If I reply, I speak what I want the text to say and shell read it back to me and then send it after my approval. It works rather well with very little setup. Im surprised I cant get something like this for an Android phone. Now I could avoid all this if I had a phone that supports Bluetooth MAP. Then the Uconnect system would handle the voice texting. I have yet to find a phone that supports this option though.

With android lollipop you don't even need to press any button to activate google now.

what phone do you have? Some phones have always on voice listening (lots of motorola phones, note 4, maybe some others I'm missing).

I have an LG G2

Best you can do there is install the Google Now launcher. Even then it has to be on the home screen for it to work.

You really shouldn't be doing that while driving though, it's just as distracting as talking on the phone and rather dangerous.

Best you can do there is install the Google Now launcher. Even then it has to be on the home screen for it to work.

You really shouldn't be doing that while driving though, it's just as distracting as talking on the phone and rather dangerous.

Actually with GNL if you have the device plugged in OK Google works with screen off on any device.

Actually with GNL if you have the device plugged in OK Google works with screen off on any device.

Not exactly, which is why I didn't mention it.

1: That particular setting causes issues on some phones and with some apps given it always has control of the mic.
2: It only listens with the screen off while it's charging, it says such in the settings.

I did find an app called hands-free sms. Not sure if that fits the bill.

You can tap the Bluetooth (at least with a headset) and Cortana will activate. No need to call her here.

I use Windows Phone for work and love it. I use Android for my personal device, and it rarely gets much use. Glad I came in here to read some stuff. Doesn't sound as easy with Google... (yet).

My phone doesnt have lollipop.

Before you get lollipop, you might still need to press some button to activate it. Still Google Now is pretty handy. As other folks mentioned, it would work even better with Google Launcher, which I really love.

Before you get lollipop, you might still need to press some button to activate it. Still Google Now is pretty handy. As other folks mentioned, it would work even better with Google Launcher, which I really love.

What does google launcher do?

I cant believe there isn't something out there comparable to what the Windows phone does given Android's popularity.

On the SGS5 I need neither and I can "OK Google" from any screen, including the lock screen. The same was true for my OPO, and neither device was on Lollipop.

The LG G3 can use google now on any screen, including the lockscreen, as well. It's fairly simple with the tap to wake feature.

The LG G3 can use google now on any screen, including the lockscreen, as well. It's fairly simple with the tap to wake feature.

I just bought a G3. How do I get it to work when in the lock screen mode?

Back