Is there a workaround for games that must be installed to C Drive?

biggles

2[H]4U
There are some older game titles like Tomb Raider Anniversary that will not run unless installed on the C drive. However, my laptop has a very small SSD for the OS and not enough room for many videogames. Is there a workaround for this? If not, is there a way to have some Steam games installed to C and other games installed to a different drive?

For Tomb Raider Anniversary, when trying to launch the game it says "ERROR OUT OF TABLE RANGE". The thread below discusses the issue but the steam mover link within it does not work.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/8000/discussions/0/458605613394151086/

You can try doing a symlink. I had to do something similar with GTA V a few years ago where I split the game files across 2 drives (1 ssd, 1 hdd) due to the super long loading times

Reactions: Parja
like this
That or a NTFS junction should resolve your issues.

What solution will work best might depend on how the second drive is connected.
Is it an internal drive that will always be there, or is it an external drive that might be disconnected sometimes?

If its an internal drive than creating a simlink like mentioned above would work, or you can format a partition on it and instead of assigning a letter make it a subfolder of your C drive.

If ifs external, then I think both would have problems when disconnected, but for simlinks you can use a script to connect and disconnect the link to avoid problems.

Tomb Raider Anniversary runs perfectly fine from my D drive. I use steam library folders to change the install directory. I just double checked and I have it installed on my D:\Games\SteamLibrary\

My laptop has a 512gb SSD as my main/OS drive and the D drive is my 1GB spinner.

Tomb Raider Anniversary runs perfectly fine from my D drive. I use steam library folders to change the install directory. I just double checked and I have it installed on my D:\Games\SteamLibrary\

My laptop has a 512gb SSD as my main/OS drive and the D drive is my 1GB spinner.
I am trying to get it running from G drive. My laptop is configured as follows:
C (NVMe SSD) OS and smaller apps like web browsers
D DVD drive
E (7200 rpm HD) large video files
F external HD
G (RAID 0 SATA SSD's) games go here

I've had TR:A installed to my G: drive on Steam, which is a 512GB SATA SSD, and it ran without issue.
I am trying to get it running from G drive. My laptop is configured as follows:
C (NVMe SSD) OS and smaller apps like web browsers
D DVD drive
E (7200 rpm HD) large video files
F external HD
G (RAID 0 SATA SSD's) games go here
Maybe the RAID configuration is what the game is having issues with. How is the health of the RAID? How full is it currently? In my opinion, RAID 0 is not worth the hassle for the minuscule increase in speed you get, especially with SSD.

I just setup the RAID 0 recently so it should be healthy. It currently has 176 out of 234 GB free space. So, maybe Tomb Raider Anniversary won't install on a RAID 0 setup then? I originally configured the RAID 0 for Gears 4, which requires a whopping 134 GB of drive space. So a single 128 GB m.2 drive could not handle that. But later Gears 4 was moved to another drive so this is no longer an issue. If I disable RAID 0 would it wipe out the games currently installed on the m.2 drives?

Is there a windows command to verify the RAID 0 setup is healthy? It worked fine with a bunch of other games, so I assumed it was fine.

I have used RAID 0 for over 15 years for tons of games, never once found one that would not work, it's not like the game knows it is on a raid volume.

And yes, if you disable the raid you will lose all the files on it so back them up first if you want to go that route.

Back