Is there a way to power a 280 GTX with my Corsair HX620W?

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
So the 280 GTX requires a 8pin and 6pin PCI-E. My PSU only has 6pin, is there a way to make this work?

Contact our customer service and we'll send you the cable free of charge.

Thanks!

I ran one briefly as a test on a Corsair HX520. Though mine has both the six and eight pin cables.

Contact our customer service and we'll send you the cable free of charge.

Thanks!
:cool:

Just curious, have there been any changes to the HX620W? I bought mine right when they first came out, wondered if there have been any "silent upgrades" since then.

Do all corsair power supplies have an issue with the gtx 280 and 8 pin connection like the 9800 gx2 ?

:cool:

Just curious, have there been any changes to the HX620W? I bought mine right when they first came out, wondered if there have been any "silent upgrades" since then.

orignally came out with 2x pcie 6pin adapters but now they are 6+2pin x2.

I have an HX520W and it powered my GTX 280 overclocked with an overclocked quad-core, 7 case fans (120mm), 4GB RAM, 2 hard drives, optical, etc. etc. just fine. I used an adapter to make one of the six-pin connectors into an eight-pin, since most PSU's just connect them to grounds it doesn't matter a whole lot if the PSU is good like these are. Your HX620W should be 100% good to go.

P.S. Darn, I bought mine for $10 shipped, should have thought of asking Corsair :D ! Good to see you posting here still Redbeard :).

Do all corsair power supplies have an issue with the gtx 280 and 8 pin connection like the 9800 gx2 ?

No they do not. As I said my Corsair HX520 has two modular connectors that can be used as 8-pin or 6-pin. Both connectors are natively 8 pin but you can seperate two of the pins and use each plug as a 6-pin connector.

Yeah, that sounds the same as mine. Got mine fairly recently (Dec 2007).

Redbeard PMed me and is sending me the cables :D
Corsair customer service kicks ass.

edit: He had them ship the cables via Next Day Air for FREE :eek::eek:
This is why I stick with Corsair products!! ;)

Redbeard PMed me and is sending me the cables :D
Corsair customer service kicks ass.

edit: He had them ship the cables via Next Day Air for FREE :eek::eek:
This is why I stick with Corsair products!! ;)

Now that's the kinda thing that'll actually make a 'loyal customer' out of the most value-minded of us... Am I going crazy or does Corsair actually have two different reps on the [H]|Forum? And both of them do the job of two or three normal reps! :p

Man I'm glad I purchased a corsair power supply, with that kind of customer service, you have a life member here.

The first HX620 I ordered back in 12/2006 was DOA. I opened up the plastic wrap and out fell a small black capacitor or something. I called and they shipped me a new one no questions asked. I have rma'd memory as well they have true customer service.:) The second one has been going strong since.

w00t, just ordered my Corsair TX650, glad to here of this incredible customer service :)

great power supplies, i just stepped up to the 1000w one. Was only 100 bucks more compared to the 620w at MC so I thought it was a good deal.

Same experience with Corsair support here. Living in germany I ordered additional cables for my HX1000W, not even 48 laters UPS delivered a package all the way from california to my house. Awesome, with support like this I'll definatly stick with Corsair products in the future. I am tired of companies with bad support where you have to call a dozen of times and still get the answer you want or RMA procedures which take almost three months and you get another damaged board back.

Man I'm glad I purchased a corsair power supply, with that kind of customer service, you have a life member here.

haha, i feel ya.

I actually don't feel bad if my PSU ever goes bad b/c i'll have their excellent support.

But knowing them, don't think I'll ever have to RMA ;)

You get the same support from their memory department. It is this support that has led me to purchase an HX620 for my new build (oh, and Corsair memory).

I'll add, that when I purchased my Corsair dominator memory, the heatsink had ripped off one of the ram modules from the chip, and I had to RMA it. While I wasn't too pleased at the state of the memory I received, when they sent back the new one from the RMA, they included the Corsair Dominator memory fan for free! I wasn't sure they were confused and thought that's what I had initially RMA'd, but now I'm thinking it was just a bonus! :D

I've bought Corsair memory for my last 3 builds and I'm thinkin' I'll continue to.

I am glad I own this PSU after reading this thread. I plan on it lasting me a long time.

Well this thread just convinced me to go with the HX620 instead of OCZ's 700W. Especially seeing as its modular, the extra $$ is worth it.

Well this thread just convinced me to go with the HX620 instead of OCZ's 700W.

Good thing too considering that the OCZ 700W had that ripple problem. It's based off the FSP Episilon PSU design which has out of spec ripple, or voltage fluctuations, at high loads that can damage or kill your system. Granted, you may not reach such high loads but why pay for a PSU that can kill your system?

So good choice on the Corsair!

Good thing too considering that the OCZ 700W had that ripple problem. It's based off the FSP Episilon PSU design which has out of spec ripple, or voltage fluctuations, at high loads that can damage or kill your system. Granted, you may not reach such high loads but why pay for a PSU that can kill your system?

So good choice on the Corsair!

Yeah I noticed the ripple problem posted in another thread which is what got me back into looking around for a good alternative. I liked the OCZ because it had really long cables and the case I'm getting, Cooler Master RC690, apparently needs a great deal of cable length to route cabling effectively. (I built a system for my friend with the same case and his CPU cable came up short). How's the length of the cables on the HX620?

I've used the hx620 in the last three builds & have never had a problem with any of them.... sold two of the pc's as they were so now I have an abundance of cables

Well this thread just convinced me to go with the HX620 instead of OCZ's 700W. Especially seeing as its modular, the extra $$ is worth it.

Hehe, after seeing this thread, I did the exact same thing, and now have a spiffy HX620W sitting right next to me. Do you have a Fry's nearby? They were going for $85AR at mine.

Hehe, after seeing this thread, I did the exact same thing, and now have a spiffy HX620W sitting right next to me. Do you have a Fry's nearby? They were going for $85AR at mine.

Somewhat, its about a half hour away and would be willing to make the trip if it was worth it.

Right now its
$164.99 ($139.99 after $25.00 Mail-In Rebate) on Newegg.

The $85 was after mail in rebate? What was the price without rebate.
Their current price on the site is rather disheartening, but there tends to be differences between online and in store prices.
http://shop4.frys.com/product/5278297?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Back