Is there a way to only display posts in a thread made by a certain user?

Status
Not open for further replies.

syukton

Weaksauce
Is there a way to only display posts in a thread made by a certain user? For example, in casemod threads, show only posts made by the person starting the thread?

I mainly want this functionality so I can look at the awesome desk build-out done by jen4950 ( http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=871623 ) without reading all the "OMG THAT DESK IS UBER" posts made by others.

Possible? :confused:

If you were to donate $5 to the forum, you get the ability to use search. Then you can search for a persons name and then look at all their posts.

There is no restriction on who can use the search feature. It is not associated with being a suscriber in any way. If you click on the username it will take you to the user profile where you can get a list of the member's posts. As far as being a simple way to isolate all of a member's posts in a single thread, there is none.

corrosive23 said:
If you were to donate $5 to the forum, you get the ability to use search. Then you can search for a persons name and then look at all their posts.

MajorDomo said:
There is no restriction on who can use the search feature. It is not associated with being a suscriber in any way. If you click on the username it will take you to the user profile where you can get a list of the member's posts. As far as being a simple way to isolate all of a member's posts in a single thread, there is none.
I thought search was only available to subscribers

MajorDomo said:
As far as being a simple way to isolate all of a member's posts in a single thread, there is none.

Would there be any way to create such functionality? I would be happy to financially contribute so that everyone could benefit from the functionality's addition.

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't think it is possible under the present vBull software, regardless of financial restrictions.

Kyle et al can't edit the code behind the forum? I understand it's a packaged system, but surely they have access to the code. It would be a very simple change to implement. All it requires is one more control (e.g. "Only display this user's posts" button on every post) that adds a query string variable specifying the user ID of the poster. Then just add that information to the SQL where clause. I agree that it would be a very useful addition, especially for case mod galleries.

Thanks,

Darwin

From what I understand, they have already hacked vbull quite a bit for speed and stability issues. As a result, the system ends up being a bit "fragile", so any non-performance related features/functions generally won't be implement for fear of breaking the system. More importantly, though, it's just more work that probably nobody feels like doing. :D

As has been mentioned before, Kyle et al are undergoing a revamp of OCP. Eventually the forum software will be upgraded, but that is on the back burner for now. No further custom tweaks will be made to the vBulletin software at this time, as any changes would be lost in the upgrade and have to be re-done.

Thanks for the clarification. I just balked at the suggestion that it was "not possible". But "not practical at this time," I can accept that. "Not really a priority" works, too. I think that's perfectly fair; it's not my headache when something breaks.

Darwin

Not possible means it ain't gonna happen at this time. Any additions to the software side will be done for stability or speed tweaks not something that will serve the purpose of a minority of the forum members. It could be possible at a later date after updates are in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back